Denver Area?

The Brew Mentor

Lifetime Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'll be in the Denver and surrounding areas towards the end of the month.
I'm open to suggestions and points of interest.
Brian

On The List;
Day 1
Colorado Springs
Pikes Peak

Day 2
Garden of the Gods, then Rt 24 on the way to
Hot Sulphur Springs
Grand Lake

Day 3
Boulder

Day 4
Denver

We'll be staying close to city centers and Ubering or walking to attractions/Breweries.
Brian

Visit Drydock Brewing!
Second that - it's the most GABF decorated brewery in Colorado! IMHO, South Dock is better than North Dock and let me know when you'll be there - always nice to meet another Brewer's Friend brewer. I'd recommend canceling one day of Colorado Springs and getting up to Fort Collins for some beers. Trinity Brewing in the Springs is pretty good, or was last time I was there. My Kentucky Common should be on tap at Ironworks Brewing in Lakewood. DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO CASA BONITA!!!!!

The Denver aquarium was fun. I'll second dry dock.
Bierstadt lagerhaus also has awesome fresh chicharones

There's also Casa Bonitas, if you're into South Park and kind of hate yourself a little

Oh, and if you want to see some of our mountains, getting up to Summit County is nice: The Dillon Dam Brewery and the Brewery Bakery are both very good breweries at 9,000+ feet!

There's also Casa Bonitas, if you're into South Park and kind of hate yourself a little
Not to mention some great German lagers! It's hard to get to but I do love Bill's brewery (although Thursday I'll be at Coors Field, just down the street from Bierstadt). And as mentioned earlier, DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO CASA BONITA!!!!!

Getting into Denver 8/30 early.
Staying until Sunday
Colorado Springs is already booked. Everything else is still pretty flexible.
I wouldn't mind meeting some of you at a brew pub if time permits.
Keep the suggestions coming!
Brian

Dry Dock (south) is the best place for me, also a brewpub I wouldn't pass up.

Nosy,
We'll be in Denver on Saturday 9/2 if that works out

I've been vegetarian for a while now, so I'll pass on the chicharones :)

Oh, and if you want to see some of our mountains, getting up to Summit County is nice: The Dillon Dam Brewery and the Brewery Bakery are both very good breweries at 9,000+ feet!

And I thought I had grief dealing with a low boiling temperature. At 9,000', water boils at 195 (f). Hmmm.... Wonder if the Brewer's Friend calculators can add an "Elevation (MSL)" pull down menu for us brewers further above sea level.

And I thought I had grief dealing with a low boiling temperature. At 9,000', water boils at 195 (f). Hmmm.... Wonder if the Brewer's Friend calculators can add an "Elevation (MSL)" pull down menu for us brewers further above sea level.
I've been doing this for a while and have never made adjustments except when doing step mashes in the mash calculator (I use 200 degrees for my boiling point, am having better success at hitting temps if I use 195 degrees). Hop extraction is marginally lower but I've never been able to pin it down - it never exceeds the human bitterness taste limit of about 5 IBU. Calculating oxygenation rates, I have to take into account that our pressure is about 80% of sea level here at 6,000 feet. By the way, there's a nice brewery in Leadville at 10,200'. Otherwise, it just doesn't seem to matter that much or if it does, it is a positive thing - lots of craft breweries here at a mile or more high!

@Nosybear. We boil @108 (f) and have never had issues with mash temps not hitting the mark. But like you, step mashing has proven difficult and we are only 4 degrees off of mean sea level boiling temp. I can only imagine having to deal with 17 degrees (f) less on a step mash

And, some changes...
Day 2 we'll be heading to Breckenridge after the Garden of the Gods

Back