Left Hand Milk Stout

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hoping to brew this next weekend. The recipe I have, which is widely posted here and other forums shows roughly 8% roasted barley and 6% chocolate malt. I've read several articles that state choc malt should be 2 times as much as roasted barley.
With that said should I switch up the two according to the article (byo magazine posted an article about it) or just brew as is?
I've never brewed a stout before so I want to get this right. Also the recipes also don't state that the roasted malts should be steeped vs including with the other malts in the mash. I wasn't planning on steeping but after reading the articles I'm leaning towards do it. Any thoughts about that process?
Thanks.
Eddie

personally, I don't really like roasted barley, but paired with chocolate malt it goes really really good in a dry stout.

I'd definitely do 10% chocolate and 5% roasted barley, but if there's a larger consensus for cloning Left Hand I'd go with those numbers.

roasted barley is just one of those in the eye of the beholder tastes, it can be over powering in some beers even a small amount so unless you like a burnt after taste flavor, less is more

This is one that i have 'tinkered with' and have on the list to do,i do like a stout:)

Even though the recipe calls for 8% roasted barley, I may drop it down to 5% and increase the choc malt to 10%. Not sure I would enjoy a big burnt taste from using too much roasted barley. Could always increase it next brew.

Also, feel free to use 100% Orleans parish tap water for this brew (if you're Orleans that is). I found it works pretty well in stouts down here.

Orleans tap:
Ca: 48 ... Mg: 12 ... Na: 30 ... Cl: 38 ... SO4: 17 ... Alkalinity: 148 (CaCO3) ... pH: 9.2

Also, feel free to use 100% Orleans parish tap water for this brew (if you're Orleans that is). I found it works pretty well in stouts down here.

Orleans tap:
Ca: 48 ... Mg: 12 ... Na: 30 ... Cl: 38 ... SO4: 17 ... Alkalinity: 148 (CaCO3) ... pH: 9.2
Yeah, those numbers look good. I'm outside of NOLA. Orleans Parish may be good but in the city it's horrible. I've never checked my water report. Just drinking from the tap here isn't bad and I could probably use it with added campden tablets but I just play it safe and use either filtered or distilled.

Back