How much beer do you brew

chub1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Well?
I do mostly 5/6 litre brews,some 10 litres but that's about it.I like to try out plenty of recipies and usually have around 80 odd bottles of beer indoors at any given time.It allows me to do more brews as well:) I do give a fair few away and really only drink a pint a day,sometimes not that much.sometimes one or two more.
How much do you guys brew at a time,how often and do you tend to give it away or hoard and drink it yourself?

I brew 10 gallon finished batches but don't brew as much as I did in the past I have 4 kegs but usually only have 2 full at any given time, I give beer to family and friends as much as they want so I will fill all 4 up before a gathering usually its like this when I keg a beer its time to prepare for the next, that gives the beer time to age and carbonate and the new beer time to brew and ferment which takes 2 weeks for my beers so basically it works out when 2 kegs are empty time to brew

Last edited:
I keg and brew fortnightly to keep my drinking habits sated lol:D.

Lately have been brewing a lot !
At home I have 4 FVs full of 22 litre batches , a cube of fresh wort waiting to go into a friends fridge and off to do a double batch this afternoon and a triple tomorrow
After this all my kegs are full and I'll take a break for a few weeks .
Need to get 2 batches ready by mid October for a club case swap and club challenge all brewing identical recipe

I have 5 full kegs, octoberfest, pilsner, Marzen, watermelon ale, wine cooler.

~25L 1x/month
I tend to hoard most of it. :D

3 Gallon batches and kegging. Usually brew twice a month.

5 gallon batches, usually 2x a month. (and we drink it damn near as fast!)

Anyone have some ideas on how to brew more frequently (without taking over the kitchen fridge)? I want to brew small batches about once a week but am limited by my ability to control temperature in the beer fridge. All ideas welcome.

Just bottled NEIPA and ESB. 1 gallon pale ale test in the beer fridge and 1 gallon of cider conditioning in the kitchen fridge at 40 degrees.

Before I had a bank of fridges I would brew to the season , choose my yeast accordingly and accept I'd have to heat / chill as appropriate with a heatbelt or swamp cooler .

What are the ambient temps there ATM ?

I have 3 fridges and a 2 tap keezer running now , middle and far right fridges can hold 4 batches between them and left hand fridge is now extra keg space .
Middle fridge won't do cold crash temps so have to rotate them out into right hand fridge for that , I also have 2 apprentices that I keep stocked and a brew partner with 2 fridges , lucky we have an open tap policy when visiting other brewers or id never get to brew or drown in my own supply
1502167331924-1899134463.jpg

Holy $#!T, Pirate. Three refrigerators???

Hot summer here and no air conditioning, so hard to leave things out. Swamp cooler can get me to 73 or so, but I need to get to lows 60's. I think it is indeed choice of yeast and just stick to two batches a month. Need to wait until October when Silicon Valley finally cools down.

Here's a bit of math that works for me: brew<>drink. I actually brew quite a bit more than my relatively temperate drinking habits require. Much of mine goes to parties, club meetings, homebrew nights, competition entries, etc.

After I wrote that last post, I thought of a way to avoid two fridges (those I will make much less space for kegs). Chill for the coolest temperature (like 62 degrees) on the beer in the first week of fermentation and use then a Fermwrap on a second inkbird controller to keep a second beer warm (like 68 degrees). ANyone do that before? The batch size will be 1 to 2 gallons usually.

If have a freezer Set up as a fermentation chamber. That way I can go right through the whole range from pitch temp to cold crash. I then use a keg King kegerator fits 3 kegs as my conditioning / serving chamber.

Oh and I do have a wine fridge my old fermentation chamber but it's lowest setting is 8c so no cold crash in that one. It fits a 30lt bucket comfortably

Back