Session ale recipe feedback

Gledison

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as I was too excited in brewing my first beers I've got 2 all inclusive recipes and now I'm ready for the second one.
This session ale has:
83% Pilsner
12% German CaraHell
5% German CaraAroma
Total 1,66 Kg
12g Mosaic / 10 min
12g Mosaic /1 minute
58 g Mosaic Dry Hop
it should give: 40IBU, 3,8% ABV, 29EBC with a target OG of 11 P
when I set the values using brewersfriend I got a 9.7 P OG and the IBU 16.4

Most of recipes I've checked have hops for at least 60 minutes for bittering. This one does not. should I expect some bitterness just from 10 minutes boiling? or this should be expected from a session ale (which is supposed not to be sooo bitter)
thanks

Hey guys, as I was too excited in brewing my first beers I've got 2 all inclusive recipes and now I'm ready for the second one.
This session ale has:
83% Pilsner
12% German CaraHell
5% German CaraAroma
Total 1,66 Kg
12g Mosaic / 10 min
12g Mosaic /1 minute
58 g Mosaic Dry Hop
it should give: 40IBU, 3,8% ABV, 29EBC with a target OG of 11 P
when I set the values using brewersfriend I got a 9.7 P OG and the IBU 16.4

Most of recipes I've checked have hops for at least 60 minutes for bittering. This one does not. should I expect some bitterness just from 10 minutes boiling? or this should be expected from a session ale (which is supposed not to be sooo bitter)
thanks
Thats a funny looking recipe for an ale looks more like a pilsner light lager recipe.
Im guessing yes low bitterness but plenty of flavour and aroma.

Thats a funny looking recipe for an ale looks more like a pilsner light lager recipe.
Im guessing yes low bitterness but plenty of flavour and aroma.
yep, I assume it's missing some hops :(
Maybe I should tweak this recipe myself...still wondering about absence of hops by 60 min boiling..
thanks

trust the software its usually pretty close, just put a tiny bit in at 60 and all will be good

What is your batch size ?
The difference in expected OG could be as simple as batch size being different , efficiency settings not being dialed in or different potential sugars in the malts .
Another thing to keep in mind is that calculated IBU is still just a number and different hop schedule will result in same number but a very different perceived bitterness

What is your batch size ?
The difference in expected OG could be as simple as batch size being different , efficiency settings not being dialed in or different potential sugars in the malts .
Another thing to keep in mind is that calculated IBU is still just a number and different hop schedule will result in same number but a very different perceived bitterness
Good that you mentioned,
My Batch size is 10 Liters with a 75% efficience BIAB.
as you mentioned, i was wondering about the IBU calculations. Ist possible to get same values by playing with the amount and Timing of the aditions. Do you know any reference or thread which is discussed the differences in real perseption and the calculated values?
I´ve heard that higher than 90, we cant perceive bitterness anymore..but you know...lots of things are being said everywhere...MAybe something for "Adam ruins everything" LOL
thanks

Yeah I've read don't boil hops for longer than 90 min gledison. I'm learning more and more about contributed IBUs for hop additions. Sometimes a later larger hop addition can cover both bitterness and flavour all in the one step. I'm suprised how much bitterness my bunyip beer has considereing it's FWHed boiled for 40 and hopstand for rest of addition not one of them hops touched 100c boiling water before the hop oils were released :rolleyes:.

Yeah I've read don't boil hops for longer than 90 min gledison. I'm learning more and more about contributed IBUs for hop additions. Sometimes a later larger hop addition can cover both bitterness and flavour all in the one step. I'm suprised how much bitterness my bunyip beer has considereing it's FWHed boiled for 40 and hopstand for rest of addition not one of them hops touched 100c boiling water before the hop oils were released :rolleyes:.
very interesting.
I believe for the isomerisation to take place the oils must be dissolved or dispersed in the water Phase. I wasnt expecting to get lots of bitternes by late aditions. I had a discussion witha guy last week where he believes that we cant get bitterness by the Whirlpool process,I´ve read that the Alpha acid isomerisations will stop bellow 80 deg C. Interesting Topic anyways :p

hi,
one thing I was not considering. After boil is finished, the remaining hops will keep isomerizing until temperature reaches 80deg C. I'm not sure if the IBU calculator is considering the time until isomerization stops. in my case, it takes ca. 15-20 min to cool down bellow 80C.

hi,
one thing I was not considering. After boil is finished, the remaining hops will keep isomerizing until temperature reaches 80deg C. I'm not sure if the IBU calculator is considering the time until isomerization stops. in my case, it takes ca. 15-20 min to cool down bellow 80C.
Yeah I get that I've seen a section in the hop area on recipie calculator that may cover this extended cool time I think you can set it for your equipment. But remember that the wort goes from 100c to 80c in a FLASH liquid takes longer to cool down below that into pitch temps. Next time your cooling your wort kept a thermometer and watch I'll give you 5 min and your at or below 80c.:)

Yeah I get that I've seen a section in the hop area on recipie calculator that may cover this extended cool time I think you can set it for your equipment. But remember that the wort goes from 100c to 80c in a FLASH liquid takes longer to cool down below that into pitch temps. Next time your cooling your wort kept a thermometer and watch I'll give you 5 min and your at or below 80c.:)

definitely I will do that.
thanks

Back