Hop Question

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I brewed a batch Saturday and when I was cleaning my equipment I came across the FO hops that I forgot to add. Don't know what happened- just got side tracked I guess.

I'm planning on adding the FO hops as a DH addition. I was going to add it for 3 days then add my DH amount for 3 more days. Now I'm thinking about just adding all at one time. I an concerned with oxidation as I bottle and had issues with brewing NEIPA's that I had issues with oxidation. So I stopped brewing the style until I can get a keg system set up.

Any thoughts on which would be the better way and will the end result be affected?
I brewed a PA fwiw.

Hop early day 3 so yeast still scavenging oxygen :rolleyes:. Or gwt some co2 and flush hops before adding to fermentor.

I suppose dry hopping early aint too? Theoretically early dry hop oxidation should be used up by yeast.

Its a hard one i dont use as much dry hops in my brews ive found so dont have that problem. I have found from last brew that your hop stand 80c kettle additions do contribute much aroma to the brew. My last was FWH and 80c hop stand 10 min and mate yoy can smell the hops on the pour. Redesign next batch keep your hops at the ready then pump up your batch with them hops:p.

you will lose any IBUs you were expecting from your FO hops now , accept it and move on .
if you are bottling with a bulk priming bucket you can use a cheap coffee plunger to do a hop tea added with your priming solution
add hops and fresh boiled water to plunger and allow to stand for 20-30 mins , depress plunger and tip hop tea into bottling bucket along with dissolved priming solution and then transfer fermented beer on top and bottle as normal .
regarding oxidisation in bottles i assume you try hard to reduce splashing during transfer ? the yeast in bottle conditioned beer do consume a moderate amount of oxygen

you will lose any IBUs you were expecting from your FO hops now , accept it and move on .
if you are bottling with a bulk priming bucket you can use a cheap coffee plunger to do a hop tea added with your priming solution
add hops and fresh boiled water to plunger and allow to stand for 20-30 mins , depress plunger and tip hop tea into bottling bucket along with dissolved priming solution and then transfer fermented beer on top and bottle as normal .
regarding oxidisation in bottles i assume you try hard to reduce splashing during transfer ? the yeast in bottle conditioned beer do consume a moderate amount of oxygen
I do take care when transferring- I've only had oxidation issues with NEIPA's. My transfer process is the same for all batches. only thing I can think of is the amount of DH in NEIPA's. Has to be the culprit.
I'm hoping to be set up for kegging by year end.
If I add the FO hops and DH amounts together it will total approx. 3.5 oz which is a little less then what I add when brewing NEIPA's.

@Mark D Pirate
Wow thats like 280g of dry hops!:eek:
man ive never used even half that in a 20lt brew.

That must been big on the nose. Did you find you got what you wanted out of the dry hop addition. No grassyness?

it was indeed , just over a lb in that batch total so near 450 g all up
I should have bagged the hops , i know some didnt even get wet since they just floated on top of the krausen and looked like cottage cheese gone mouldy and racking to bottle bucket was a pita as well

it was indeed , just over a lb in that batch total so near 450 g all up
I should have bagged the hops , i know some didnt even get wet since they just floated on top of the krausen and looked like cottage cheese gone mouldy and racking to bottle bucket was a pita as well
5 gallon (21L) paint strainer from hardware store works with something in it to weigh it down. The bonus is you can squeeze the bag for all the hoppy goodness.

@Nola_Brew .if i was in your situation I think I would DH with what you had planned on in primary if possible and Use FO amount like mark suggested with the hop tea at bottle. My reasoning is dry hopping can decrease some AA reducing bitterness and so by adding hop tea at bottling you'll be able to charge your IBUs back to where you had planned. On the oxidation front, I've never had issue adding DH charge but if super concerned dissolve that charge in A small amount of distilled water and add
Prost

I may order a coffee press and try the hop tea. Never did it before but seems worth a try.

Back