introductions....

ronytrombone

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi being a trombone player it was only a matter of time before I got into brewing
nothing like a beer after a couple of hours blowing the horn
I invested in a machine (ace brewer or Klarstein ) - so heres my first question
(sorry if its obvious but) what type of mash sparge am I doing ?
mash for 60 mins with recycling liquid on the pump - lift grain basket and sparge with 77 centigrade water
to bring the volume up to 32 litres ready for the boil.

Many thanks
Rony

Hi being a trombone player it was only a matter of time before I got into brewing
nothing like a beer after a couple of hours blowing the horn
I invested in a machine (ace brewer or Klarstein ) - so heres my first question
(sorry if its obvious but) what type of mash sparge am I doing ?
mash for 60 mins with recycling liquid on the pump - lift grain basket and sparge with 77 centigrade water
to bring the volume up to 32 litres ready for the boil.

Many thanks
Rony
I'm thinking its fly sparge. It's definitely not a batch sparge where you drain your wort from mash tun to kettle then add sparge water to mash tun re stir grains then rest for 15 then run this off to kettle.

But a fly sparge is also a little different where you slowly let the water out your tun but also tricle in your sparge water on top of the grain bed keeping the liquid two inches above the grain bed for a slow even rinse of the grains.

Your method similar to mine (I BIAB) is you lift your grains up out of the mash tun/kettle then trickle sparge water down through the grain bag/mash pipe.

Please correct me fellow Brewers if I'm wrong in my assumptions :).

Still trying to figure out how playing trombone is a precursor to home brewing... And I concur with Trailben...you are fly sparging. In any event, welcome to the forums!

Back