Efficiency calculator

Blind Bill

Trial Member
Reaction score
I am confused at the brewhouse efficiency calculation since the last part is appears to be a concentration calculation. If I lose volume due to leaving the trub in my kettle even though the volume is decreased the concentration of that volume shouldn't change, so why does the ppg change with only a loss of volume. Only evaporation or dilution should change the concentration am I missing something?

It's hard for me to wrap my head around it, but let's see here. Let's say 2 guys brew the same recipe. They each spend the same amount of money on ingredients. One guy says he has 1 gallon losses. The other, 2 gallons. In then end, even though they spent the same amount of money, one guy has 1 gallon less finished product than the other. Given that they drink at the same rate, that guy will spend more money on brewing than the guy with only a 1 gallon loss. I know that doesn't really address ppg, but it is a factor.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around it, but let's see here. Let's say 2 guys brew the same recipe. They each spend the same amount of money on ingredients. One guy says he has 1 gallon losses. The other, 2 gallons. In then end, even though they spent the same amount of money, one guy has 1 gallon less finished product than the other. Given that they drink at the same rate, that guy will spend more money on brewing than the guy with only a 1 gallon loss. I know that doesn't really address ppg, but it is a factor.
I agree the overall efficiency should go down due to the loss of volume, that part makes sense it's the change in ppg that does not. Thank though for responding.

I agree the overall efficiency should go down due to the loss of volume, that part makes sense it's the change in ppg that does not. Thank though for responding.

I am looking in my brew session logs. I understand the reduction of efficiency it's the change in concentration that doesn't make sense.

Efficiency or brew house efficiency is a calculation of all your losses going into the fermentor. It's this final gravity and fermentor volume that determines you efficiency % when designing a recipe. I find dialing in your brewhouse efficiency/losses helps you design better beer andi results in better predicatable repeatability in your beers.

As long as overall efficiency is consistent it doesn't matter that much , my processes allow me to be pretty confident that the beer in my glass in a month will be very close to targets in ABV % , bitterness and colour

Back