What whould you tell yourself as a new brewer?

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Ok exbeerienced and unexbeerienced brewers alike if you could go back in time what one tip would you force feed into your young brewers mind that you now know this minute today!!!

Mine is, mate dont be a cheep arse! Buy the best ingredients if you want to brew the best beer! And use a good sanitizer that will reduce your infection risk...

Get your process down before starting to tinker with recipes, water, etc. And brew to the middle of the range in terms of gravity and bitterness rather than rushing to the extremes.

Join a club. Lots of free information shared at club meeting. Plus you get to make new friends.

I looked into clubs when I started, and all of them in my area didn't seem to have the time of day for a beginner so I just said to hell with it, I'll teach myself.

And I did lol,
Ditto here.... But having the wisdom of a few experienced brewers around would certainly have helped!

well back in the early days it was a full sack of grain in a 50 gallon drum over a fire and well water with only a hose to clean and thats it so big changes in the last 10 years and a huge learning curve had to be made so with that said I would say get your water figured out and sanitation practices, fermentation temperatures controllable and "take your time" 30 days from grain to glass is the best beer Ive tasted

Ditto here.... But having the wisdom of a few experienced brewers around would certainly have helped!

This and a few other web sites full of helpful people on the forums is were I soaked up the wisdom of experienced brewers

This and a few other web sites full of helpful people on the forums is were I soaked up the wisdom of experienced brewers
Like all internet based resources you still have to filter out the bad information , any fool can post but this forum is pretty good

Yes I have to admit I digested a lot of information a lot more than I needed so I had to learn to filter through that and determine what was to be kept and what was to be thrown away

Yes I have to admit I digested a lot of information a lot more than I needed so I had to learn to filter through that and determine what was to be kept and what was to be thrown away
Not that everyone would decide the same as you, either. I think that's pretty cool about this hobby. Some people do things that others consider to be a waste of time. But I would be happy to drink any member's beer.

2 brewers and 6 opinions isn't it ?
I know my club welcomes brewers of any experience and method , I get picked on a little for being a no chiller but all in good fun .
Learning brewers are invited along to brewdays as there's no substitute for seeing it done and getting involved

Read John Palmers How To Brew. Even if you don't understand it read it. You will refer to it a lot. Read Charlie Papazian's book also etc. etc. etc. Buy into Brewers Friend. Always keep in mind fancy gadgets don't make good beer, a person with common sense does. The gadgets just make it more funner:p

Nothing like a bit of shiny stainless steel to make ones heart skip a beat. Maybe that's why people buy Harley's...:rolleyes:

Not that my kettle is very shiny :p it's as black as the carbon build up on the outside - oh for an electric system.

I think entering into that brewing comp was a good learning curve for me it's another Dimension to hombrewing. Selecting the right category brewing to the Guidelines, taking part in the tasting as a novice, scoring a learner score card, giving educated opinions on the beer. So definitely a good thing as a new Brewer.

Back