IBU Calculator

holstershine

Trial Member
Reaction score
I entered a recipe and the IBU calc is not showing anything for the flame out addition and the IBU for a 160 degree whirlpool addition seem very high. Anyone else notice this?

did you add your % value for each, its kind of a custom feature

I did not. Just read the FAQ and the article linked in the FAQ, thanks! Having trouble finding a good source to determine utilization for my particular choice - 170 degrees for 20 minutes. Temp is closer to 160 at the end. Any ideas? I would think less than 10% based on what I'm reading.

the only way to tell you is if I know your water like how hard or soft it is or the alkaline but I shoot for less than 10% my self under 170f its 5 for me

the only way to tell you is if I know your water like how hard or soft it is or the alkaline but I shoot for less than 10% my self under 170f its 5 for me

Cool, I'll use 5 for now. I'm actually getting my water testing Wednesday and will know more before my next brew day. Thank you!

What about the flameout hops? I chose boil and zero minutes and it spits out nothing for IBU. Should I choose aroma and then input a time that represents duration from flame out to final chilled temp?

so the issue with flame out is are you chilling immediately or whirlpooling or hop stand so I can't really comment unless its under a certain situation

At flameout I add hops then move the kettle to my sink and fill the sink with cool water to accelerate cooling to 170. I drain the water before I hit 170 so that the cooling slows down during whirpool. I add the hops once I hit 170 and manually whirlpool for 20 mins. I'm just under 160 by the end of that 20 minute whirlpool. Then I fill the sink again and create an ice bath and chill down to 80. Transfer and top off and pitch yeast. So all in, from flameout to pitch temp (78 or so), it's about 50 mins.

Im going to do the same thing this weekend so this thread couldnt come at better time.
most hops are going in after flame out and left to steep for 20 or so mins @80c. so i should most likely reduce utilization to 5% too? ibus are at 41 so far.for this brew but i highly doubt it will be thAt bitter.
Cheers Oz;)

At flameout I add hops then move the kettle to my sink and fill the sink with cool water to accelerate cooling to 170. I drain the water before I hit 170 so that the cooling slows down during whirpool. I add the hops once I hit 170 and manually whirlpool for 20 mins. I'm just under 160 by the end of that 20 minute whirlpool. Then I fill the sink again and create an ice bath and chill down to 80. Transfer and top off and pitch yeast. So all in, from flameout to pitch temp (78 or so), it's about 50 mins.
sounds like your describing a hops stand in a way, either way its less than 10% or 5 if the water is right so I think your flame out at 0 will work just fine, now that will depend on the water report

Back