kegging

jimmyz

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I have 2 kegs for that i hve been using for around a year. Recently I have had multiple problems with hops or some kind of trub clogging up the tap. Do you guys filter all your homebrew when kegging?

No. But I do use a secondary. Less sediment in the keg, at least I think.

I don't use bags and don't use a hop filter any more I just throw the hops in the pot but whirl-pooling catches most hops in the boil kettle, I don't dry hop any more so I don't have near the hops that most do in the fermenter and if I add hops to the keg I do use a bag but tie it to the middle of the dip tube and take it out before the level gets below the hop bag I also cut my dip tubes 1 inch from the bottom so any gunk just sets on the bottom and it actually clears the beer better that way, you not pulling any gunk/hops into the glass

I like the trimming the dip tube idea. Good thinking!

It's all in what you're after. Use a gas tube for your beverage tube and you won't get any sediment! (I know it's a ridiculous way to make my point. I have not cut any beverage tubes short. I'm amazed at how little liquid is left when it blows. Just a bit of sediment. Never any noticeable hop debris. Just yeast.)

I tie a fine mesh bag on the end of my transfer hose when transferring into keg this seems to keep back the large hop particals.

I just transfered another batch to the keg yesterday and tried straining thru a funnel with a fine filer on it and i made a mess. I need to get ome type of system down pat.

It's all in what you're after. Use a gas tube for your beverage tube and you won't get any sediment! (I know it's a ridiculous way to make my point. I have not cut any beverage tubes short. I'm amazed at how little liquid is left when it blows. Just a bit of sediment. Never any noticeable hop debris. Just yeast.)
Can you clarfiy i dont understand?

The shorter your dip tube, the more beer you leave behind. That's all I'm saying. Less chance of a clogged tube, but at the expense of leaving beer behind. All of my kegs have uncut dip tubes. They all sit close to the bottom of the well of the keg, within 1/2". I have never had a clogged dip tube. Not that my brewing is problem free. I'm currently trying to work out why I'm suddenly afflicted with the 1.020 curse in my last few batches.

The shorter your dip tube, the more beer you leave behind. That's all I'm saying. Less chance of a clogged tube, but at the expense of leaving beer behind. All of my kegs have uncut dip tubes. They all sit close to the bottom of the well of the keg, within 1/2". I have never had a clogged dip tube. Not that my brewing is problem free. I'm currently trying to work out why I'm suddenly afflicted with the 1.020 curse in my last few batches.
I don't use bags and don't use a hop filter any more I just throw the hops in the pot but whirl-pooling catches most hops in the boil kettle, I don't dry hop any more so I don't have near the hops that most do in the fermenter and if I add hops to the keg I do use a bag but tie it to the middle of the dip tube and take it out before the level gets below the hop bag I also cut my dip tubes 1 inch from the bottom so any gunk just sets on the bottom and it actually clears the beer better that way, you not pulling any gunk/hops into the glass

In between there I bent my dip tubes so they are off the bottom just a little. Dry hopping is always a pain unless you bag the hops.
I sanitize a hop bag and tie it on the hose going from boil kettle to fermenter. You need to add some O2 at that point anyway so splashing is a good thing and it catches most of the hop debris.
Yes whirlpooling helps too.
And doing a secondary works also.
Lots of options you will figure out what works best for you.
Chilling the beer before racking to keg helps to settle most of the stuff to the bottom,then keep the end of the cane out of the trub collected at the bottom.

Thanks guys. Ill keep working at it till i find a method tht works for me.

2nd headfirsts method tie a hop bag on end of transfer hose.

This is a typical empty for me. Just a small amount of liquid left. I've never had a clog. The dip tube is in the well.

Attachments

• IMG_1827.JPG
    IMG_1827.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 124
not saying you’re doing anything wrong but that’s because you might be drinking most of the yeast and trub, if you let them set long enough at 34 and have the tube cut all kinds of goodies are there, hops, yeast trub and very clear beer

I just transfered another batch to the keg yesterday and tried straining thru a funnel with a fine filer on it and i made a mess. I need to get ome type of system down pat.
Tie that fine mesh screen on the end of your transfer hose its either going into your keg or bottling bucket. Sanitize it all first with a 10 min boil and then soak in phosphoric acid and your sorted.

I havnt trimmed any if my dip tubes i crash before transfer but you still get some crud. My first pour or three are hazy but like you said oz once ive drunk me trub and yeast i can have a nice clean one :D.

There's not much sediment when I rack it from secondary to keg. The first few pours are cloudy. I'm sure I'm drinking what has settled since packaging.

Back