AB Inbev Bought RateBeer.com

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Our local news is reporting that AB Inbev has bought RateBeer.com. Several Colorado breweries have requested that the site remove all ratings of their beers, refusing to take part in what may become an AB Inbev propaganda machine. I didn't use the site and don't intend to. AB Inbev has indicated they won't try to influence the ratings on the site. Note they said nothing about the advertisements.

You will become one with the Borg.

Thanks for the heads up. Never used that site and never intend to now

Dogfish head also asked to pull their ratings and urged other independent breweries to do so too.
We may not be able to stop the snowball from rolling down the hill, but we can at least get out of the way and not get swept up into it

How is a site like that supposed to maintain any sort of credibility when owned by a mega brewer ?
Would be a goldmine to AB- Inbev marketing department though , name , preferred drinks and a location ?
Many reasons why I avoid social media and simply don't use my real name since I value my privacy

How is a site like that supposed to maintain any sort of credibility when owned by a mega brewer ?
Would be a goldmine to AB- Inbev marketing department though , name , preferred drinks and a location ?
Many reasons why I avoid social media and simply don't use my real name since I value my privacy
Very easy if its a holding company that bought it, so unless someone does some research it isn't clear that abinbev owns it.
What really gets me is that they run ads that mock craft beer and then buy up craft breweries so they can have it both ways.
I get it, capitalism, whatever. It's still a very shifty thing to do

We had ads running here implying that craft beer lovers are hipsters , homosexuals , or pretentious they were pulled off media very quickly since same brewer has been buying up craft breweries and ruining them .

I'm not a big fan of hipster in general , often at local craft bars I'm only clean shaven man in the place and nearly always the only one wearing hi vis work clothes

We had ads running here implying that craft beer lovers are hipsters , homosexuals , or pretentious they were pulled off media very quickly since same brewer has been buying up craft breweries and ruining them .

I'm not a big fan of hipster in general , often at local craft bars I'm only clean shaven man in the place and nearly always the only one wearing hi vis work clothes
Pub demographic has changed heaps have to go to country to see a good Aussie pub.

Dogfish head also asked to pull their ratings and urged other independent breweries to do so too.
We may not be able to stop the snowball from rolling down the hill, but we can at least get out of the way and not get swept up into it
Good point. We follow trends like moths. The craft brew trend is one that is here to stay IMO. It just took a while for the rest of the world to catch up with Europe and local pubs. Keep supporting the locals and that will be the best way to keep craft beer going in the right directions. The people who follow the trends exclusively will sway but home brewers and good craft brewers go hand in hand. People like Nosey who's beers are produced locally will help. Personally I think social media will fade, at least partially, as a trend always does. Hopefully soon. The impact on society is only beginning to be understood.

Other side: I've been in brewpubs in Colorado that have playpens for the children brought in. We take our grandchildren to our local brew pub for root beers and they love it. I see there a mix of everyone from straighlaced Corporate drones like myself in Dockers and shined shoes to tattooed hippies with beards and handlebar mustaches. And we all get along: I know the staff at the brewpub and they've had to bounce one person in ten years. So I think the craft beer movement has evolved into a way of life - I catch up with other brewers there, the guys from Ruby Street come by and drink with us, it's just a great place to go and enjoy a cold, very good, beer!

AB Inbev's marketing and disparagement of those of us who really want flavor in our beer will not work. The Brewpub is just too nice a place to sit and drink.

Back