New Thermometer.

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I bought a new thermometer today i think youse may just like it. My other digital one gave up the ghost last weekend so i took a trip to me local brew store and came out with a few goodies.

This is a digital thermometer pure distilling is the title name but the cool thing is you can set it to sound an alarm when a temperature is reached perfect fir getting my lazy but into gear come mash in time:).
It also has a timer function on it so you can set the next mash step or brew timer with it as well. But it also doubles up for cooking the sunday roast just poke the probe in the meat set your roast temp and it will sound when the temp is reached. Why havnt i bought one sooner im thinking. The cord can withstand heat to 300c and it has an alarm inbuilt incase i test that theory.

Anyhow ill leave it with youse anyone got one of these any pros and cons to them let me know. Cheers .

In that photo the top one is the temperature reading and the bottom one is the alarm temperature nifty eh? This way the steamy wort will be nowhere near the elecrronics too.

20170518_144025.jpg

Well guess what ive broken it already:eek:!
Yep it lasted less than a few hours:oops:
First i had the probe in the bbq cooking some roast potatoes yep all good read temperature fine. Then i popped it in with the dishes to was5 the grease off i left it in there for the duration of the wash forgot about it and went and watched tv. Well probably half hour later i returned took the probe out the wash and noticed it was reading 64c ambient air temp! I left it over night tried it this morn same thing boiled the kettle popped the probe it it was measuring 117c boil. Soo it looks like im heading back to hombrew store to get a differnt thermometer as this one is too fragileo_O. It deffinetly couldnt handle a 60 min infusion mash if it cant handle the dish water lol.

Last edited:
Bloke at the hombrew store swapped it no questions asked and i scored another beer glass with it;)

Yeah i guess anyone thinking of getting one of them other thermometer types should be cautious imersing it in water.
I love the temperature alarm function and.timer function but its a little too fragile.

Did you immerse the wire as well as the probe? Geez, I'd like to think that the probe end was able to withstand immersion.

I put my thermometers in zip lock baggies and just poke the probe out of the bottom. Learned this from experience. Fortunately, the thermometer that got wet was resurrected after two days in a bag of dry rice.

I put my thermometers in zip lock baggies and just poke the probe out of the bottom. Learned this from experience. Fortunately, the thermometer that got wet was resurrected after two days in a bag of dry rice.
That usually works. I've taken to spending the few extra cents and buy those rated "waterproof."

I bought a cheap wireless remote/outlet switch to run my Chugger pump. I keep it in a zip lock baggy as well. I don't store them in the baggie as it will just hold in the moisture, but use them on brew day

image.jpeg
Did you immerse the wire as well as the probe? Geez, I'd like to think that the probe end was able to withstand immersion.
Yeah you know it:oops:! I think the wire got wet it's not ben proof my nickname is PASSIONFINGERS:p. Well the other thermometer is water proof and it's go a long probe it's pretty accurate I havent broke it so far on this decoction brew this morning up top is the photo of it.

Back