Hi!

JoeParke

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all, my names Joe and im a fairly new but enthusiastic home-brewer. I unfortunately don't have the room for all grain brewing so im using kits for now, but I like to add to them and experiment, hopefully ill pick up some tips from the experts on here.
Ive got a dark ale conditioning in the bottles and barrel right now. Deep, dark malty ale with an nice 7.2% ABV
I love strong, full flavoured, punchy beers. My favourite breweries at the moment are Cloudwater, Arbor, Brewdog & Magic Rock. Id love to be able to recreate something along the lines the of the gorgeous DIPA ive tried from these brewers!
I look forward to any and all discussions.
Heres to the beers, cheers!

I think the BIAB style is calling you my friend you don't need tuns of room or equipment for a single vessel brewing system. The bag is the teabag the grain is your tea steep her for and hour at 65c pull out the tea bag hit the burner or whatever you choose to heat the wort then boil this for 60min chill her down to pitching temp throw in yeast ferment and enjoy your all grain beer:). This is a simplified analogy

Welcome ! Brew whatever you like as long as you like what you brew , the recipe calc on here is pretty useless for kit base but will be great if you move to extract

I think the BIAB style is calling you my friend you don't need tuns of room or equipment for a single vessel brewing system. The bag is the teabag the grain is your tea steep her for and hour at 65c pull out the tea bag hit the burner or whatever you choose to heat the wort then boil this for 60min chill her down to pitching temp throw in yeast ferment and enjoy your all grain beer:). This is a simplified analogy
Thanks! I've not heard of BIAB I'll look into it, sounds like a definite step forward!

Welcome! I'll second BIAB. It really makes me feel much closer to the beer making process. Plus, you can chew on a few grains at the store to try them. Can't do that with extract

Worked very well at our last place (a condo) and I had most of the equipment from the extract brewing. Idk if I'll ever go the traditional mash tun route

Welcome! I'll second BIAB. It really makes me feel much closer to the beer making process. Plus, you can chew on a few grains at the store to try them. Can't do that with extract

Worked very well at our last place (a condo) and I had most of the equipment from the extract brewing. Idk if I'll ever go the traditional mash tun route
That does sound great! Im a massive craft beer fan and have enjoyed making a few extract kits but definitely feel the need to move on to something more, something better. Can anyone tell me more about BIAB or any good websites please? Thanks again all!

Here's a good writeup from another forum.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=90132

Been awhile since I've read it, but it really helped. One thing I do differently, I sparge my bag after the mash (basically just rinse it with hot water) to get a little more of the sugar out

Mosher's Radical Brewing is a great read regardless of how you brew. And of course everyone on this forum is more than willing to help

And basically, if you can make a giant pot of watery oatmeal in a bag and leave it at a roughly steady temperature, you're doing it. Yeah, you can check ph, adjust water, etc. But that's really all there is to the mashing part

Here's a good writeup from another forum.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=90132

Been awhile since I've read it, but it really helped. One thing I do differently, I sparge my bag after the mash (basically just rinse it with hot water) to get a little more of the sugar out

Mosher's Radical Brewing is a great read regardless of how you brew. And of course everyone on this forum is more than willing to help
That's fantasic! Getting excited now! I've only just bottled my last brew this week and I want do crack on and try this BIAB! Thanks all! Cheers!

That's fantasic! Getting excited now! I've only just bottled my last brew this week and I want do crack on and try this BIAB! Thanks all! Cheers!
Well good luck Joe getting the equipment. What do you have on hand ATM?

Well good luck Joe getting the equipment. What do you have on hand ATM?
Thanks!
I have a fermenting bucket and a barrel and bottles. That's all unfortunately. But I've got my eye on a kit online.

Thanks!
I have a fermenting bucket and a barrel and bottles. That's all unfortunately. But I've got my eye on a kit online.
Id say make sure your kettle is large enough to accommodate a grainbill of your average Starting gravity like 1.060 or in my terms 6kg grain. I biab in a keg that I cut the top off then use a simple gas burner to fire it I can full volume mash if I want to with ample head space I never need worry about boil overs. Get the right equipment early on to save hassles later on;). Most brew stores will sell you a bag to suit your brew vessel I made my own thanks to the mother in laws suing prowess the material here in Aus is called Swiss Voile not sure about America. Plenty of Brewers here will help you out if you have any questions just fire away. Let my mistakes help you so you don't need to make them yourself:p.

Id say make sure your kettle is large enough to accommodate a grainbill of your average Starting gravity like 1.060 or in my terms 6kg grain. I biab in a keg that I cut the top off then use a simple gas burner to fire it I can full volume mash if I want to with ample head space I never need worry about boil overs. Get the right equipment early on to save hassles later on;). Most brew stores will sell you a bag to suit your brew vessel I made my own thanks to the mother in laws suing prowess the material here in Aus is called Swiss Voile not sure about America. Plenty of Brewers here will help you out if you have any questions just fire away. Let my mistakes help you so you don't need to make them yourself:p.
Thanks pal! I'm looking at a kit that has a 32 litre boiler, comes with a bag but might buy a bigger one. And I'm in the UK not America. Many thanks for the offer, chief!

Hi all! Quick question, I have my 7.2% dark ale conditioning in 16 x 500ml bottles and a 10 litre barrel for two weeks now. Our room temp at present is 20 Celsius. I thought that might be a bit high so I've moved the bottles to an under the stairs cupboard at 16-17C but the barrel is too big too move. Will the barrel be ok? Should I put more carb drops in the barrel? How long should I leave bottles and barrel to condition?
Thanks all!
Here's to the beers, Cheers!

Try one and see how you like it , it should continue to improve in bottles over next few months or year .
Once carbonated I'd be leaving them somewhere dark , cool and let your yeasties do what they do best .

BIAB is a good way to brew , I use an electric 40 litre Crown urn and its pretty easy to make good beer that way , I started using the no chill method which cuts down my brew days , water use and allows me to brew even if I don't have an empty FV

Try one and see how you like it , it should continue to improve in bottles over next few months or year .
Once carbonated I'd be leaving them somewhere dark , cool and let your yeasties do what they do best .

BIAB is a good way to brew , I use an electric 40 litre Crown urn and its pretty easy to make good beer that way , I started using the no chill method which cuts down my brew days , water use and allows me to brew even if I don't have an empty FV
Hi thanks
I've not heard of the no chill, how that work?

I open valve on my kettle and drain near boiling wort into a food grade container like this and squeeze all air out , seal it up and let it cool ....they can store for months this way
Screenshot_2017-05-15-00-00-15.png

Back