White Labs Pure Pitch Viability

Just ran into this two weeks ago with yeast calculator... per date on package it was past date, expired, zero.
Came up with my own way of interpreting new longer shelf life. This morning I find this. Good to know:

http://www.whitelabs.com/news/purepitch-shelf-life
Yeah I was watching a YouTube video on them the other day they are one passionate bunch passionate about brewing and about the hombrewer.

I wounder if the yeast starter calculator needs to be updated on here?

I just purchased new packs of white labs yeast because the ones I had were past the "best by," and I had no reliable way to estimate cell counts.

I just purchased new packs of white labs yeast because the ones I had were past the "best by," and I had no reliable way to estimate cell counts.
Um, role call??

With a slurry of a valuable platinum seasonal yeast I assumed 0.5 billion cells (total) and worked my way up through about 5 starter steps to produce one of my best beers ever...but with fresh packs of year round yeast i made the leap.

Reporting back - I used both the 6 month old White Labs PurePitch and the 1 month old PurePitch, no starter, which calculated out to 0.75M/mL/P and it was cranking within 12 hours. After a week there are no signs of poor yeast health or weak fermentation.

This is a half a point in the confirmation of the White Labs viability study. This is great news for stocking up on some seasonal yeasts and getting around to them 6 months later...

So I just got my first white labs pure pitch pack for a dry stout I’ll be brewing tomorrow so it will be ready by St. Paddy’s Day. MFG date is dec 17. This is good news with getting liquid yeast and not having to worry about brewing immediately after receiving th3 yeast package.

There are also less concerns on the cold handling side.
I had a shipment coming to the shop and the delivery ended up being delayed for some reason. Instead of getting yeast on Friday, I didn't get it until Tuesday. I called White labs ant told them the yeast was going to be sitting in a distribution hub for 4-5 days warm. They told me that there wasn't any problem with that and to sell it as usual.
I was skeptical so I used pack of warm next to a fresh pitch and I saw no difference in the fermentation.
Seems like this new method is working great!
Cheers,
Brian

Back