Anyone Using the "Untappd" app?

Hank Plantagenet

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded and registered, and I am having lots of fun with it.

For those not familiar, it was described to me as "FaceBook for beer lovers." In summary, you can post/log anytime you are having a brew, including where you bought it and where you are drinking it. You toggle the beers from a truly huge database, and it even has the ability to log homebrews. (You can use generic homebrews by style, or you can put your own brews into the system)

Basically, the app lets you keep up with everything that you try while simultaneously telling your beer-drinking buddies about the new stuff and whether it is any good.

It also keeps a database of what beers have been flagged as being available at any given location. So, if you are looking for (for instance) Kilkenny Irish Red in your city, you can run a search and determine where that beer is available.

Last edited:
I had it but had to restore my phone and didn't re-download it, I really didn't look at it very hard, Im guessing its pretty good?

I had it but had to restore my phone and didn't re-download it, I really didn't look at it very hard, Im guessing its pretty good?
I have only been a member for a few days, and I only have a small handful of "untappd friends," so the "social aspect" of the thing is unknown to me. But the "logging/recordkeeping" for beer purchases looks pretty easy-to-use and useful.

You can even use your phone's camera to read the barcode on the beer.

Yep, I love it.
I like trying lots of different beers, and this helps me to keep track of the ones I like and would drink again, and the ones I'd rather not waste my money on.

Ian

I'm not registered, but I like to read where people drink their beers, it helps ID some really interesting taprooms. Review stars for brews seem to be all over the place!

Review stars for brews seem to be all over the place!

That is most likely due to different taste preferences. Lots of people seem to be loving hoppy IPAs nowadays, so they would tend to rate them highly. I'm not a fan, so I tend to rate them low.

After the IPA fad is over, I bet the next beer buzzword will be "Saison." Any takers?

I'm on it. The link is in my signature. Feel free to add me on it if you'd like.

After the IPA fad is over, I bet the next beer buzzword will be "Saison." Any takers?
We're already into the "next phase": Sour/Barrel Aged/Wild Fermentation. IPA is getting a slight reprieve with the New England IPA craze.

i agree. we had Session beers get some notice too recently

Back