How Many Yeast Strains?

1 Qt. US-05 slurry, the same of US-04, 2 Qt. Bry-97. Dry, a couple saison, can't recall what, prly' more 05, maybe S33. 1 Turbo distillers. That is what I recall, not looking now. I'll use the US-04 tomorrow in an American Imp Stout I think. I need to use up what is on hand before heat sets in.

I have
3rd gen 34/70
Dry cask condition ale in freezer
New mad fermentantist saison
Usually have 1272 but hit gen 6 and let it expire
Will be saving 3711/pseudo Brett when keg kicks

I have
3rd gen 34/70
Dry cask condition ale in freezer
New mad fermentantist saison
Usually have 1272 but hit gen 6 and let it expire
Will be saving 3711/pseudo Brett when keg kicks
So Llewellyn do you usually run with one strain for a few brews?

So Llewellyn do you usually run with one strain for a few brews?
Ya really love 1272 for most of my apa,IPA brews also really happy with the 34/70 monster for lagers. I've had 1968 on hand before just haven't done an esb/stout in awhile.
Kinda fun planning to turn a yeast 3-4 times make you think a bit more deliberate about what to brew, light to dark low OG to higher OG

Ya really love 1272 for most of my apa,IPA brews also really happy with the 34/70 monster for lagers. I've had 1968 on hand before just haven't done an esb/stout in awhile.
Kinda fun planning to turn a yeast 3-4 times make you think a bit more deliberate about what to brew, light to dark low OG to higher OG
So your pitching straight on the yeast cake too eh? I've not done this yet but I can see the forward planning needed to not muddle up the flavours.

So your pitching straight on the yeast cake too eh? I've not done this yet but I can see the forward planning needed to not muddle up the flavours.
Not always, I still think that washing in between has its benefits , but I've had times where worked out to transfer beer into keg and just refill the bucket with next brew [fermentation starts in like an hour!]

Ive done that many times and getting ready in a couple of days, just waiting for day 10 so I can brew a beer and keg one the same day, should be a fun day

WLP585 - Saison III
Imperial A04 - Barbarian
Imperial A20 - Citrus
Imperial A31 - Tartan
Imperial A33 - Loki
Imperial B45 - Gnome
Wyeast 2035 - American Lager

WLP585 is my baby. I hadn't used it since October so I had to slowly coax it back to life. As a seasonal strain it only comes out in June. It is definitely my favorite saison strain. Quite tart and fruity but still ale-like (rather than a sour). It's even a yeast that tastes better in suspension like a weizen strain. I flip the bottle conditioned bottles before serving.

Not always, I still think that washing in between has its benefits , but I've had times where worked out to transfer beer into keg and just refill the bucket with next brew [fermentation starts in like an hour!]
The whole cake ? I had been led to understand such a massive over pitch results in bland beer at best and potential for off flavours .

A recent presentation revolved around Coopers commercial yeast pitching rates and the over pitched beer was the blandest of the 4 , it went from 1.050 to 1.007 in 48 hours even at a lower temp , I'll ask his permission to post detailed results here but since this involved only a single yeast strain known to be a monster (commercial ) it won't behave the same as many others

The whole cake ? I had been led to understand such a massive over pitch results in bland beer at best and potential for off flavours .

No, I would not typically pitch onto the whole cake. Way too many cells, I have one time pitch that way but the starting gravity was 1.149 (actually had to add an additional 1.5 L starter of another strain )

Back