Nail VPA Clone

The Don 617

Trial Member
Reaction score
G'day all,

Attempting to clone Nail Brewings VPA.

This will be my first attempt and creating a recipe and first attempt at doing a proper boil extract brew.

According to the back of the can VPA is a very pale ale
Malt: pale malt
Hops: El Dorado
IBU: 30
SG: 1058
6.5% ABV

Any tips or pointers please let me know!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7793.PNG
    IMG_7793.PNG
    185.4 KB · Views: 479
have you considered adding some of the extract late in the boil, like around the last 10 minutes or so? that'll help to avoid some caramelization and keep the brew on the paler side

Yes mate, it's not on there but was going to do the boil with 1kg and add the rest very late in the boil

Looks like a good brew plenty of carapils hopefully will hold some good head for you. You'll know all about Eldorado hops after this brew I've never herd of them before.

Hey Don with your recipe it'll be more accurate if you use the late addition check box .
The software will give hop bitterness levels depending on boil gravity
Change the fermentables to 1 kg and 2.65 kg as a late addition ( there's a checkbox ) you may be surprised what difference it'll make to your IBU calc .

Good luck with it champ

Great thanks mate I'll have a look at it and change it up.

I've just been shown this article from when VPA was first released before it was canned

https://craftypint.com/beer/3616/nail-brewing-vpa

States that the hops are a mix of el dorado, azacca and galaxy.

Now I don't know whether to just stick with what I've got hops wise or just do an equal mix of the 3 hops, although I assume the el dorado must be the predominant hop as it's the only one listed on the can.

Changed the bulk of the extract to late addition, had to drastically reduce the amount of hops in the boil to keep the IBU's around 30.

Attachments

• IMG_7794.PNG
    IMG_7794.PNG
    195.8 KB · Views: 247
Boil gravity is important , that's why I suggested the change and now you'll know and get a closer estimate of finished bitterness .

You may also think about using Pilsen or similar liquid malt extract or a very light coloured pre hopped extract ( kit ) and allow for the extra IBUs
The world is your mollusc when it comes to brewing

Thanks again for the tip mate!

What will the Pilsen malt add to it? I want to stay away from kits so I know exactly what's in the brew.

Just a lighter shade , colour isn't that important really but the option is there .
If it wasn't as hoppy you'd notice a slightly different malt flavour by using pils LME or you could ditch the steeped carapils and use a blend of dry wheat malt and that would help with head formation / retention that would help keep colour down as well

Mate ? Another Aussie ......even bloody better ! Few of us on here and slowly taking over due to our natural comedic value , good looks and general awesomeness

Damn straight brother!!!! Except I missed out on the good looks!

This is what I've finished up with. Added a tad more malt and to make sure that after bottle ferment I'm at or over the 6.5 of the original

Attachments

• IMG_7798.PNG
    IMG_7798.PNG
    181.8 KB · Views: 329

Back