NEIPA Brew Session

Ok, here's an update on this NEIPA that I call the "Citrus Bomb." After 13 days fermenting I'm looking at an FG of 1.017. I tasted the beer and it was very smooth and had a nice "thick" mount feel. The aroma is incredible as I expected it to be using that much dry hops. I'm thinking somewhere in the neighborhood of around 10-12 ounces for this batch. The beer was not bitter at all, nor was it sour since some had wondered if using acidulated malt would make it rank tasting. If you can imagine everything about orange juice this is it, only it's an IPA. The color is a bit darker than I expected, but that's ok. I will have this beer ready for Easter to enjoy. Stay tuned...

Attachments

• IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_3409.JPG
    IMG_3409.JPG
    27.1 KB · Views: 197
nor was it sour since some had wondered if using acidulated malt would make it rank tasting. ..

Dude my experience with acidulated malt is at 1-3% you don't get no sourness it is undetectable to my pallet anyways and is added just to lower ph. In a sour Berliner wheat beer thing you'd need to add mour acidulated for that sour twang. I'm using just 88% lactic acid now which is great stuff a couple of mills brings the ph down into prime 5.2-4 ph range. Unfortunately with acidulated malt if ph is still too high you can't really add more if you don't have any on hand but with liquid lactic acid it's just a drop or two and instant results:).

they use coloring, your fine, but 17 will be thick, keep fermenting if possible

Had my first NEIPA this weekend. Will write about it in the "General Discussions" area.

Dude my experience with acidulated malt is at 1-3% you don't get no sourness it is undetectable to my pallet anyways and is added just to lower ph. In a sour Berliner wheat beer thing you'd need to add mour acidulated for that sour twang. I'm using just 88% lactic acid now which is great stuff a couple of mills brings the ph down into prime 5.2-4 ph range. Unfortunately with acidulated malt if ph is still too high you can't really add more if you don't have any on hand but with liquid lactic acid it's just a drop or two and instant results:).
Acidulated is generally used for mash pH adjustment, not souring. It's normal pale malt sprayed with natural (that is, bacterially produced) lactic acid. Since there's no mineral acid in it, it can be used in beers that are brewed to the Reinheitsgebot. The way to keep it "pure" (translation of "Reinheit") is to have some acidulated on hand, check your pH at least five minutes after dough-in and f your pH is too high, add some more.

I use your method, just with 10% phosphoric acid. I've had some discussions with brewers about whether lactic acid provides a "cheesy" flavor - I love to develop it in my cheeses for that reason - and they're of the opinion that they can't taste the difference so there's really no need to change either way.

Acidulated is generally used for mash pH adjustment, not souring. It's normal pale malt sprayed with natural (that is, bacterially produced) lactic acid. Since there's no mineral acid in it, it can be used in beers that are brewed to the Reinheitsgebot. The way to keep it "pure" (translation of "Reinheit") is to have some acidulated on hand, check your pH at least five minutes after dough-in and f your pH is too high, add some more.

I use your method, just with 10% phosphoric acid. I've had some discussions with brewers about whether lactic acid provides a "cheesy" flavor - I love to develop it in my cheeses for that reason - and they're of the opinion that they can't taste the difference so there's really no need to change either way.
two brews in using liquid 88% lactic acid and I couldn't imagine brewing without it now. I use a syringe to draw it up to right amount last nights brew was 3.4 ml and just squirt her into mash water. Then I added half a ml to sparge water but that was too much as ph was 4 so probably quarter ml next time. But yea it's quick and easy for dialing in ph.

Sounds like a good approach to me - I use phosphoric for the same reason. Generally I control my RA - residual alkaliniity - with salts or use of distilled water but recently have started using salts in the mash only - my water needs calcium anyway - and acidifying the sparge. My Maerzen today came in at pH 5.3, I'm happy with that.

RobertE- how difficult did you find it to rack this year? For my NEIPA I added 6oz hops loose to primary for my first dryhopping, and yesterday I had to rack the beer twice just to filter enough sediment out. It was my first back to back double racking. Crazy clogs.

It was slow going racking from the primary to my secondary fermenter. I did encounter a clog or two using my auto siphon and I even used bags for my dry hop additions. The beer seems to have settled quite a bit sitting in the secondary. I had several inches of trub on the bottom of the primary. I also used a bag for my last dry hop addition in the secondary. For this batch I only ended up with around 4.25 gallons. Next time I will adjust my recipe to account for loses due to absorption.

Attachments

• IMG_3447.JPG
    IMG_3447.JPG
    778.4 KB · Views: 138

Back