Mash tun banter

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
lookong ahead to spring diy projects, I'm planning on constructing a 15 gal mash tun. I plan on making it direct fire for my new 2 tier recirculating system. So here is the problem I'm wanting the direct fire but also want a center bottom drain instead of a pickup tube. Would that bottom tube get too hot when firing the burner ? Thoughts?

lookong ahead to spring diy projects, I'm planning on constructing a 15 gal mash tun. I plan on making it direct fire for my new 2 tier recirculating system. So here is the problem I'm wanting the direct fire but also want a center bottom drain instead of a pickup tube. Would that bottom tube get too hot when firing the burner ? Thoughts?
Mate I can only use the pet bottle filled with water on the fire analogy eg when the bottle is filled with water it stops it melting take the water out it becomes a pile of smouldering plastic. Soooo if it's filled with water whilst the burner is firing she should be all goodo_O.

Mate I can only use the pet bottle filled with water on the fire analogy eg when the bottle is filled with water it stops it melting take the water out it becomes a pile of smouldering plastic. Soooo if it's filled with water whilst the burner is firing she should be all goodo_O.
Hahaha I plan on using a retired 1/2 barrel keg.... should be a bit more flame retardant than your pet bottle @Trialben

If using a keggle just drill as close to the bottom as possible on the flat side then connect a copper or SS tube to the inside of the fitting and run it to the bottom of the vessel. You will need a false bottom or screen pick up of some sort too. They make false bottoms just for keggles with an attached pick up tube. If you do choose some type of plastic pick up tube as long as it is not touching the keggle bottom it should be fine.

A flame directly on the drain could scorch wort I would think.

A flame directly on the drain could scorch wort I would think.
Yes, that is my main concern. Even while recirculating I can see where temps could get fairly high in the tube; like raising from 150- mashout going to get fairly toasty..prefer bottom drain for ez in cleanout at the end of lautering; probably end up installing both a SS bottom drain tube and SS pickup tube out the side

Yes, that is my main concern. Even while recirculating I can see where temps could get fairly high in the tube; like raising from 150- mashout going to get fairly toasty..prefer bottom drain for ez in cleanout at the end of lautering; probably end up installing both a SS bottom drain tube and SS pickup tube out the side
A bottom drain is a great idea but you still would have to have some kind of a seal down there that would be in direct contact with the flame.

I suppose you could have a fitting welded in.

I wouldn't put a bottom drain in if using a flame besides melting a seal its going to heat up that wort in the 1/2" area faster than the rest of the pot and possibly scorch it or denature it

I wouldn't put a bottom drain in if using a flame besides melting a seal its going to heat up that wort in the 1/2" area faster than the rest of the pot and possibly scorch it or denature it
Couldn't agree more. 100,000 BTU's heating a 1/2" line/tube... Scorching will likely be an issue.

Yes, I had planned on TIG welding in all the fittings, maybe just weld in a threaded coupler in the bottom and use SS plug and remove for cleaning ; stick with side pickup tube for recirc and sparge
That might work. I Use 2 keggles and they get heavier every year. With a bottom drain you could just hook a hose to it and into a bucket wouldn't have to move it.When you cut the top out of them have a lid allready so it fits correctly. If the plug fits flush with the bottom would it still scorch?

Last edited:
If the plug fits flush with the bottom would it still scorch?

Shouldn't, would actually have a higher densities than the thinner dish bottom of the keg so would likely take longer to heat up .

@Head First u hit the nail on the head;looking to lift it as little as possible if all I had to do for clean up is scoop out grist then pull the plug and rinse into a bucket below ...that would be ideal !!

Hahaha I plan on using a retired 1/2 barrel keg.... should be a bit more flame retardant than your pet bottle @Trialben
Mmmm i think if you put sugary water in the pet bottle on the fire it might melt.

See it wont heat up as much as you think with water in it. I recon youd need to keep it circulating to stop scorching. I brew in a keggle and thought about a center pic up but decided on pickup against the edge of kettle simple option. Make sure you take pics Llewellyn.

I'm still toying with plans for a RIMS keggle but continue using my urn as boil kettle , double brew days would be possible then .
Even heard about a small gylcol unit I could use as a supply for an IC .

Back