Stupid Tips

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It took me a long time to figure out the quickest way to empty a soapy carboy. I fill my carboys up about 1/5 full with soapy water to clean them. If you hold the carboy completely upside down and swirl the water inside in a circular motion, it empties fairly quickly. It helps when you can get a hole to form in the water going out of the neck. The soap and the water come out together. Then a quick rinse gets rid of all of the soap.

Vortex! :)
Works extremely well when you're rinsing bottles, too. A quick flick of the wrist and you have an empty bottle by the time you can count to about 3. Really speeds things up with you're doing the cleaner/rinse/sanitizer process.

But it works the oposite down under and may happen quicker:D.

I reckoned that you fellas just held the bottles right side up to get the same effect. :D:D:D

Yep lucky the bubbles rise the same way and not the beer:eek:.
Just sometimes they do if I've got gushers:).

You're not using dish soap are you? I use a food grade soap such as the ones used to clean your beer lines on your tap system. That way, you don't get a film left by the soap, and it rinses clean.

My stupid tip is when making a yeast starter remember to watch for the boil and don't just walk away and realise you've left a capped flask of boiling sugar water on your gas burner. My one liter starter turned out a 500ml starter but at least I new it was sterilised.

Jeez , i even got annoyed when my housemate thought she'd help me and washed all my beer glasses with dishwashing soap
Thought sh'd know better working in a pub

Jeez , i even got annoyed when my housemate thought she'd help me and washed all my beer glasses with dishwashing soap
Ahh her heart was in the right place just not her practice :).

A great girl to have around did you point her in the right direction mark and show her your bottling bucket:p.

And when I was little, my dad would go to work and complain to the guys about the way my mom would mow the lawn. "She doesn't do it like I like it done."
"Your wife mows your lawn, and you're complaining??"

She only washed them because while I was at work her and friends decided to sample my brews without asking , no clean cold glasses left for me in my beer fridge ( no beer either ) very unimpressed
Also now have less glasses since moving in , denies breaking them of course

yes but you have to be happy they liked your beer, most woman say they do but really don't, not sweet enough lol

She only washed them because while I was at work her and friends decided to sample my brews without asking , no clean cold glasses left for me in my beer fridge ( no beer either ) very unimpressed
Also now have less glasses since moving in , denies breaking them of course
Well yes that is uncalled for. Have to put a lock on that beer fridge eh? I see you can get beer tap locks as well you may also need these in future;).

Shouldn't have to lock my stuff up , you could leave your wallet , beer and phone at my place and it'd be waiting for you when you came back ...you know like normal people would !
I got overpaid last week and silly me told them and allowed them to deduct difference this week .....I may be a pirate but even I have ethics

Back