Adjusting mash pH post dough in

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
messing around with my new pH meter ...and I guess I have some questions lol
ran my water numbers +gist through our water calc and it forecasted a pH of approx 5.4 cool.
I tested my mash after 15 mins post dough in and got a reading of 5.86 ; I bought 10% phosphoric acid and for the life of me couldn't find a resource to calculate the amount to use so I got my syringe out and did 5mL step until I got to 5.30 on my meter . How I can do this better ?
Prost!

What was the mash temperatures when you tested with your meter, I was told do not test mash pH with a meter when the mash is above 100°f it could throw the reading off

the advanced water calculator will give you the correct ph reading based on the recipe, its a little involving, read down below the page

What was the mash temperatures when you tested with your meter, I was told do not test mash pH with a meter when the mash is above 100°f it could throw the reading off
my meter is supposed to be temp correcting but I read about higher temps leading to false reading and cooled my samples to room temp to be safe
Mash - 149
Sample - room temp (65)

I was starting to write up an easy way to use that form but was very sick and had to stop Ill look at it again this weekend

The 5ml additions are a safe way to add acid give it 5 minutes and test again till the pH is where you want it.

20170318_091105.jpg
Yea i see the advanced water calculator has a acid addition section uiu can even input desired ph level of mash and it will give you amount of acid needed ti hit mash ph.

Just got me some lactic acid for tomorrows pilsner brew so will be busy with ph meter for that one.

Last edited:

Back