British Strong Ale won't clear

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
So, I brewed my first strong ale, or well, an attempt at one, recipe OG called for 1.095.
Brew day was a month ago, strong fermentation. Primary for 2.5 weeks, transferred, crashed and tried to clear.
I attempted Super-Kleer for the first time, and after first few days, was not overly impressed. With my impatience ( I know I know lol ) I decided to throw gelatin as well in the carboy to see what happened. Been a few days since and still not really clearing. See attached picture.

So, time will tell, I should have waited longer I know, but curious none-the-less.
Is this not clearing due to proteins that are new to me with this type of ale? Is there something I am missing? or have I just been lucky with using clearing agents in the past and had clarity in such short amount of time?

Transferred to keg, purged and sitting to condition / carbonate now. Maybe I'll wait a couple weeks to see if it clears further in the keg.

20170315_165139_resized.jpg

Gelitin works well which a cold crash to drop the haze. Throw some in your keg sn00ky even if it's under gas. Just mix it how ever you do depressure keg pop lid pour in then purge set and forget. Oh and cross fingers and hope I'm right lol.

I hear some other Brewers on here use polyclar :rolleyes:. Good luck me hearty

Did you check to see if you reached full conversion during the mash.

Incomplete conversion is the cause of chill haze.

Solution, mash longer to convert all the starch to sugar and do an iodine test to confirm conversion.

Did you check to see if you reached full conversion during the mash.

Incomplete conversion is the cause of chill haze.

Solution, mash longer to convert all the starch to sugar and do an iodine test to confirm conversion.

Interesting, I may have to get me some iodine and start checking the conversion. I am yet to do that buy now intrigued! Thanks for the tips!

I'm no expert, completely the opposite, but I was one of the first issues I ran into.

Interesting, I may have to get me some iodine and start checking the conversion. I am yet to do that buy now intrigued! Thanks for the tips!
If you use iodophor (sp?), then you've got your iodine and a sanitizer to boot. Save a little money

Back