Dry hopping in a keg

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
As the title suggests, what's the best way to do this?
I've tied some marbles to a steeping bag to dry hop in a carboy, that seems like an easy transition to a keg
But, I seem to remember some people here tying it off on the keg lid rather than letting it sink down to the bottom.
I'd think keeping the hops right next to the dip tube, kind of like a poor man's Randall, would be the best bet.
Any thoughts, fellow brewers?

the best way to dry hop in a keg is to be prepared and tie the bag ahead of time to the dip tube half way down then add your beer, otherwise its a mess and you risk infection

I've seen on YouTube dudes using a mesh bag and putting a ping pong ball inside so it always floats on topo_O. I've not tried the keg hop but it's on my to do list:).

Hop bag weighed down with marbles. Use dental floss long enough for it to hang half way down in the keg. Lower it into the keg (holding the end of the floss!) Put the lid on, the dental floss is thin enough to allow the lid to seal. Tie it to the handle of the keg.

That way you can pull it back out once dry hopping is finished if you want to.

A local hop mad member has a home made hop tube ? Hop back ? installed on beer out line in keezer so all poured beer runs through it on way to tap , contact time is low but if nothing else its different .

In construction looks kinda like a pipe bomb with barbed fittings ....I have met some strange people !

Get one gallon paint strainer bag,s oak it in star san then fill with hops and toss it in. You can rack on top of you like. No need to weight them or tie them off. The float just bellow the surface. If you want to add more open the keg and throw another bag in. No more than 1or 2 Z's per bag

Get one gallon paint strainer bag,s oak it in star san then fill with hops and toss it in. You can rack on top of you like. No need to weight them or tie them off. The float just bellow the surface. If you want to add more open the keg and throw another bag in. No more than 1or 2 Z's per bag
if you do this it will work but eventually it will drop to the bottom and thats fine too as long as you don't drink while its in because it gets stuck to the dip tube when you do

So my question is do you leave these keg hops in for the duration of the keg or do you remove them let's say after a week of contact with the beer. Just thinking of grassy flavours through long term contact with the hops?

So my question is do you leave these keg hops in for the duration of the keg or do you remove them let's say after a week of contact with the beer. Just thinking of grassy flavours through long term contact with the hops?
yes that does happen thats why its important to pull it out after 4 to 7 days, at least in my beers I hate the green stem flavor

Next question what is the difference through dry hopping the primary after fermentation activity and dry hopping the keg?

Any more aroma in the keg then just hopping the fermentor

yes its only aroma but it doesn't adhere as easy in cold temperatures and you can end up with a lot more hop sediment if you don't watch out

What about using hop oil shots ? have seen these floating around in some online stores and been tempted to try them on bottling day .
Anyone used them ?

the only issue for me is I can taste the oil, its a texture thing but keep in mind I have sensitive taste buds, I taste everything

I do both. I dry hop after about two weeks primary. Usually leave it about a week then rack to the keg with another dose. I find the paint strainer bags don't sink to the bottom. The only time I had a dip tube clog was using a muslin bag. I leave them for the duration but the kegs are usually drained in a month. If it's longer I will push to a smaller keg with another bag of hops. I've also opened the keg after a few weeks and threw in another bag

I use pellets and a muslin bag. Sanitize the bag and tie it off. Toss it in and leave it. I'll sink to the bottom and the beer filters through it. After about a week, I'll start to serve out of the keg with the 1st pint or 2 maybe having a small amount of hop particles in them but after that, the beer pours crystal clear. If the beer is on the hops more than 3 weeks, I'll push it to another keg. When the keg kicks, I just dump the bag and toss it.
Easy and I've never had any vegetable flavors come through.
Cheers,
Brian

Would still depend on hop variety as to whether you get the vegetal flavours surely ?
I've had dry hops in FV for 21 days and had zero grassiness and others for 10 and had slight grassy flavour using Galaxy

Back