Idiot Pipeliner Ale - IPA

shua5150

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just crafted my first extract beer. (I know not very impressive. I don't have an all grain rig yet). Here is my brew log from my first batch. Also, I work in pipeline construction, hence the name.

Recipe Link: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/460634/idiot-pipeliner-ale-ipa

Total boil time extended to 70 minutes (explained at end)***

Steeped at Crystal at 160°F for 30 Minutes

Added 3.0 oz. Saaz, 13.0 oz. DME & 13.0 oz. Cane sugar at 60 minutes.

Added 1.5 oz. Simcoe and, 19.0 oz cane sugar and 5 lbs 3.0 oz. DME (This equals out to total 2 pounds of cane sugar and 6 lbs of DME) at 10 minutes.

Extended boil time to allow for sugars to fully dissolve and to sterilize wort chiller. I am attempting the "Late Extract Addition" technique by adding the bulk of the fermentables at the end, which is in no way required to make this beer. Just helps with color and to minimize scorching. ***

Read more about it here: http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20/better-beer-with-late-malt-extract-additions/

Rehydrated the two packets of Safale - 05 dry yeast using the technique from Northern Brewers' video. Upped to 8 oz. water for two yeast packets (Yeast took off like a rocket ship!!! :) )

Northern Brewers' Video:

Racked to 6 Gallon Plastic Carboy, Let it splash in until half full then put the hose just under the surface the rest of the fill, rather than shake the full carboy. (Here come the pitchforks!!!)

I have had no problems doing this, but some people will argue that it oxidizes the beer.

Pitched yeast into the wort and added blow-off hose and waited anxiously for bubbles.

Let me know if you give it a whirl

congrats! you'll be going all grain soon enough

the hop schedule looks a little funky, with a lot of low AA hops early in the boil. maybe look into Magnum hops or something similar for the bittering, 60 min addition. then you can use the more aroma / flavor hops later in the boil, where they'll count.
let us know how it turns out!

Just crafted my first extract beer. (I know not very impressive. I don't have an all grain rig yet). Here is my brew log from my first batch. Also, I work in pipeline construction, hence the name.

Recipe Link: http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/460634/idiot-pipeliner-ale-ipa

Total boil time extended to 70 minutes (explained at end)***

Steeped at Crystal at 160°F for 30 Minutes

Added 3.0 oz. Saaz, 13.0 oz. DME & 13.0 oz. Cane sugar at 60 minutes.

Added 1.5 oz. Simcoe and, 19.0 oz cane sugar and 5 lbs 3.0 oz. DME (This equals out to total 2 pounds of cane sugar and 6 lbs of DME) at 10 minutes.

Extended boil time to allow for sugars to fully dissolve and to sterilize wort chiller. I am attempting the "Late Extract Addition" technique by adding the bulk of the fermentables at the end, which is in no way required to make this beer. Just helps with color and to minimize scorching. ***

Read more about it here: http://beersmith.com/blog/2008/02/20/better-beer-with-late-malt-extract-additions/

Rehydrated the two packets of Safale - 05 dry yeast using the technique from Northern Brewers' video. Upped to 8 oz. water for two yeast packets (Yeast took off like a rocket ship!!! :) )

Northern Brewers' Video:

Racked to 6 Gallon Plastic Carboy, Let it splash in until half full then put the hose just under the surface the rest of the fill, rather than shake the full carboy. (Here come the pitchforks!!!)

I have had no problems doing this, but some people will argue that it oxidizes the beer.

Pitched yeast into the wort and added blow-off hose and waited anxiously for bubbles.

Let me know if you give it a whirl
Wouldn't worry too much about the extract vs. all-grain argument: After 200-plus batches I've "regressed" to extract. It's ski season, lots to do at work so it's much easier to get in a quick extract batch than to pull out the mash tun. Plus, I don't have as much inventory of beer that way - something that's becoming a problem because I'm a very light drinker. My advice: Do a bunch of extract batches before moving up, get your process and sanitation down and repeatable, then branch out. The fewer variables you add at a given time, the easier it is to troubleshoot problems.

congrats! you'll be going all grain soon enough

the hop schedule looks a little funky, with a lot of low AA hops early in the boil. maybe look into Magnum hops or something similar for the bittering, 60 min addition. then you can use the more aroma / flavor hops later in the boil, where they'll count.
let us know how it turns out!

I already had these hops left over from a different recipe.

I already had these hops left over from a different recipe.
Fair enough, I'm sure all of us have made a kitchen sink beer just to use up the last bits of stuff before buying more

Update: 1 week after brewing and the blow off tube is still chugging away. Have some foam climbing up the inside about 3 inches or so. May leave it in primary a little longer.

Back