Inline beer Brite filter

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
My question today is how much flavor on average if anybody has experienced yet has been Stripped Away from the beer and using similar inline filters such as the beer bright filter

https://www.midwestsupplies.com/dra...hKQrt6TxvMKMnmozLAxSCU4YrfEQRUrD-mBoCwRvw_wcB

I am considering purchasing an inline filter and adapting it into my system my concerns is the loss of flavor is it substantial is it not substantial is there a counter course of action that can be taken to offset the stripped flavors

Unless you're going into competitions, I don't think special filtration is worth the hassle and cost. Cold crashing and finings are usually enough

As far as taste, at least in a dry hopped beer, the haze is due directly to the hop particles in the beer. So filtering the beer would negate the effort of dry hopping somewhat

Ive done extensive testing of filters, all paper filters will mildew almost an hour after use if exposed to air, and the types commonly sold are in microns, so Ive tested all paper 1 to 30 microns.

Ive tested 1 and 5 mostly and a combination of 5 on the outside and 1 in the center, the 5 micron will not lose any flavor, the 1 will cut the flavor in half and clog easily and once clogged you have to clean it which exposes it to air so at that point its a one brew filter, just throw it away, the five will only clog when filtering dry hopping out so its the best bet but in reality it doesn't do anything more than a good cold crash will,

I think morebeer sells a 3 micron which I think is the best choice but I haven't tested it

How did the big beer makers have such clear beer on the shelves both beers that I have done thus far have been a little cloudy they're not bad they're just a little cloudy and I definitely do not like using the sugar tablets to carbonate the beer because it leaves a film on the bottom I'm trying to eliminate that by starting to keg my beer and force carbonate it with CO2

I'm pretty much looking for crystal clear just my preference

I realize force carbonating with CO2 in kegs isn't going to get rid of the cloudiness I was hoping maybe a filtration system would help with that the ones I have a carbonated in The Keg I can transfer at the bottles if I want to and it'll still stay carbonated

I'm going to pick up a couple kegs the blichmann quick carb and the blichmann beer gun so that I can fill the bottles from The Keg to the bottles and still have that carbonation there

Here's something that I just thought about on lunch I was thinking and maybe I could put some sort of filter blanket underneath my false bottom or something to that effect that would keep more of the grain bed smaller particles from going into the boil kettle I don't want to put an inline filter between the mash tun and the boil Kettle because it's gravity-fed not under pressure I wouldn't want to slow that down

Correct any filtering that I would do would be between the boil Kettle and the fermenter or between the fermenter and The Keg or bottles unless I could put a filter underneath the false bottom that would stop those small particles from going into the boil kettle but then I still have to deal with the yeast in the fermenter so it's most logical for me to have a filtration system from my fermenter to my cake or bottling system to take all particles out so it's not cloudy

big beer companies do not brew like us home brewers, allot more goes into it, bigger batches also which allows more settlement to drop

Last edited:
To be perfectly honest with you the beer is really clear the sediment that's on the bottom just looks like a mucus film a clear mucus from the sugar tablets I have a picture I'll put it up online here real quick

This is in the glass after it's been refrigerated so it basically cold crashes it this also doesn't have the film from the bottom of the bottle I poured it really slowly when the beer is warm it seems to have a haze to it

Attachments

• 20170217_175026_resized.jpg
    20170217_175026_resized.jpg
    596 KB · Views: 390
Nothing wrong with that beer there crunk looks pretty clear to me and nice lacing with the head. Have you used findings
To try and clear your beer post fermentation. I use gelatin and it sure makes a difference. Cloudy beer when warm sounds like a protine haze issue. Usually with my brews they will have a chill haze where when chilled they will throw a haze but once warmed up a tad will clear up.

I think Kegging will be your best bet for nice clear beer the first few pours maybe cloudy but after that they clear up pretty bright. I'd invest my coin into a Kegging system opposed to a filtration system. You can drop all the crap with finning in the keg. And then there is time:).

I have used finings yet but I think I'll try them first. And I'm gonna use chalk and iodine to check that I have full conversion as a precaution

Unless you're going into competitions, I don't think special filtration is worth the hassle and cost. Cold crashing and finings are usually enough

As far as taste, at least in a dry hopped beer, the haze is due directly to the hop particles in the beer. So filtering the beer would negate the effort of dry hopping somewhat
Second. In fact, even for competition beers, cold storage and gelatin usually give me a very clear beer.

This is in the glass after it's been refrigerated so it basically cold crashes it this also doesn't have the film from the bottom of the bottle I poured it really slowly when the beer is warm it seems to have a haze to it
No haze to worry about there! I'd worry about that film, though - carbonating tablets don't leave residue!

I think I understand now: The "film" at the bottom is likely yeast from bottle carbonation. Chilling beer, if you have haze problems, generally makes things worse. It sounds to me like you have a bright (clear) beer with some yeast in suspension - cold would cause that to settle out.

The picture I put up was at 42°f nice and clear I stopped pouring before the bottom gunk mixed in.

Back