Scottish Double Brown Stout Recipe

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi Peeps...

I'm trying to recreate a recipe from the 1920's to make this beer. Would like advice where I'm being stupid, also any critique is welcome.

I tend to only use malts from Warminster Maltings and generally all grain (Max 5kg - 11lb)

OG: 1.060
FG: 1.019
IBU: 85
SRM: 30
ABV: 5+
Yeast: Wyeast Scottish Ale - Fermented @ 15c (59f)
Mash @ 69c (156f)

Pale Ale Malt 2.4kg (5.3lb) 48%
Wheat Malt 1.8kg (4lb) 36%
Amber Malt 375g (13oz) 7.5%
Black Malt 225g (8oz) 4.5%
Brown Malt 100g (3.5oz) 2%
Chocolate Malt 100g (3.5oz) 2%

Hop pellets:
60g (2oz) Cluster 60 mins
60g (2oz) Saaz 30 mins
60g (2oz) Goldings 15 mins

The original recipe had grits instead of wheat malt and dark caramel, I've substituted brown and chocolate malt for the caramel.

Idk if the brown/chocolate combo will give the same taste as dark caramel. Maybe add some crystal 80 instead of those?

Thanks

I was a bit worried about the brown and chocolate malts. I have some Warminster crystal 100. I suspect this crystal malt will be fine except the colour change (which to me is of little concern), but I do get a bit confussed with differing colour standards... SRM, EBC & IOB. My Malt chart is expressed in EBC/IOB.

Its seems in the original recipe that the caramel was around 500 SRM 985 EBC. So dark stuff. Made me think of black treacle!

So I'm changing the recipe thus...

Pale Ale Malt 2.4kg (5.3lb) 48%
Wheat Malt 1.8kg (4lb) 36%
Amber Malt 375g (13oz) 7.5%
Black Malt 225g (8oz) 4.5%
Brown Malt 100g (3.5oz) 2%
Crystal 100 100g (3.5oz) 2%
Black Treacle 100g (3.5oz) 2%

You notice that I've kept the brown malt. Well I might be going off on a tangent... As I understand it, double stouts back then were just stronger porters, at least in England (London). To me you can't have a porter without some brown malt. This being a Scottish recipe I;m probably wrong. The Scots seem to do things different, always been an unruly lot.

well also color and flavor are not the same with all malts, so don't just try to color a beer without knowing what flavors your adding, some will overpower the beer or make it harsh

I agree 100%... I suspect the dark caramel in the original recipe had greater depth of flavour than what I would call standard caramel flavour. That's why I opted for a small amount of black treacle to mimic the flavour. It just happens that it also brings the recipe SRM inline too.

The original 1920's recipe had 4% liquid caramel (caramelised sugar @ 500 SRM)

I'm replacing this with equal parts of...

Brown Malt
Crystal 100
Black Treacle

I suspect 100g (3.5oz) of treacle would just be fine too! Without the brown & crystal malts and may be closer! Oh bother!

Trouble is my dad drank the stuff after ww2. I'm brewing it for him.

I agree 100%... I suspect the dark caramel in the original recipe had greater depth of flavour than what I would call standard caramel flavour. That's why I opted for a small amount of black treacle to mimic the flavour. It just happens that it also brings the recipe SRM inline too.

The original 1920's recipe had 4% liquid caramel (caramelised sugar @ 500 SRM)

I'm replacing this with equal parts of...

Brown Malt
Crystal 100
Black Treacle

I suspect 100g (3.5oz) of treacle would just be fine too! Without the brown & crystal malts and may be closer! Oh bother!

Trouble is my dad drank the stuff after ww2. I'm brewing it for him.
I think that caramel back then was really to add colour rather than flavour.Also have a go at making invert sugars rather than bunging in black treacle.Look up Berkley Perkins on Google,some interesting articles..
Link here for you-Let’s Brew Listing | half a cat.
I have done one or two slightly adjusted brews from the list and i am fermenting a double stout at present,although only a small experimental 4 litre batch.

Back