5lbs American wheat malt
3lbs 2 row
3lbs American pilsner

.5 oz Amarillo @ 60 mins
.5 oz Amarillo @ 10 mins
us 05 yeast
23 ibus

thoughts?

I love Amarillo with wheat. I'd push most of the Amarillo additions to late in the boil and bitter with something a bit more neutral. You're gonna lose flavor and aroma over the boil, so why waste those delicious hops?

And is there a reason you've got 2row and pilsner?

I'd go 50/50 2-row and Wheat.

and agreed with JMac, bitter with a small hop, maybe saaz or EKG. I like 20 minute additions of flavor hops, so maybe .5oz at 20 and another .5oz at 5 or 1.

spices go good with wheat beer too.

I'd go 50/50 2-row and Wheat.

and agreed with JMac, bitter with a small hop, maybe saaz or EKG. I like 20 minute additions of flavor hops, so maybe .5oz at 20 and another .5oz at 5 or 1.

spices go good with wheat beer too.
Right - orange peel, sage, etc. I agree with the 50/50 approach...maybe even less wheat malt (say, 60/40) to reduce foaming.

Yea I went the other way around recently with 60/40 wheat to Pilsner one thing that comes to mind is it needs more body (I did mash high as well) some light caramel malt wouldn't go Astray just my thoughts anyways;). An ale malt would probably be better than pils to add just that extra flavour on second thoughts.

Oh cracked coriander is good too in a wheat I've found.

Don't see any need to mix pilsner and two-row.... In an American wheat, American hops are probably the right choice but be very subtle with them! 20 IBUs or less and watch dry hopping or late adds. American wheat is restrained. Disagreeing with Trialben: Crystal or caramel has no place in this beer! It's a simple, balanced brew, crystal and caramel would be cloying. Also, once you start adding coriander you're wandering in the direction of Wit. Nothing wrong there, it's just not an American wheat ale. Agreeing with Trialben: I'd go with all two-row.

ok guys just an update. brewed 2 weeks ago. I used the pilsner because I was reading an article on American wheat and it said adding pils can add a slightly sweet grainy flavor to the beer. here's the link. http://byo.com/hops/item/2007-american-wheat-style-profile I was really unsure on the hops. the problem is I'm still kinda new with this and I haven't used simcoe or Amarillo yet and idk what they taste like so I went with 1oz williamette at 45 mins, .25 oz cascade at 10 mins .5oz cascade at 5 mins. ill bottle this week and let u know how it comes out. also I didn't want to add any flavors yet bc I want to taste the recipe without additions. if it comes out good I plan on making a raspberry wheat next.

btw the ibu comes out to 19.4. thought that was a good area.

btw the ibu comes out to 19.4. thought that was a good area.
Hay Jimsal I've been perusing this thread and can't see the yeast you cooked this brew up with mate. Just interested is all Have I got me beer goggles on again:p?

lol cant blame beer goggles I left it out. I used safale us-05

so the wheat came out pretty good. I think its a good base wheat to play around with an add some spices and fruit to. so far everyone who tried it likes it. still tempted to throw some Amarillo hops in on the next batch. gonna brew some up this weel gonna add some raspberies to second fermentation. your thoughts on Amarillo and raspberries. yay or nay?

Raspberries are very sour and sour doesn't normally play well with hop bitterness. You may find a good balance, possibly with late or dry hopping but it could take a few trials. Sweetness from the wheat should help offset the acid bite. Raspberries do age well so if at first it's too overpowering, let it sit a couple more months.

Raspberries are very sour and sour doesn't normally play well with hop bitterness. You may find a good balance, possibly with late or dry hopping but it could take a few trials. Sweetness from the wheat should help offset the acid bite. Raspberries do age well so if at first it's too overpowering, let it sit a couple more months.
I have done a raspberry wheat(extract brew) which was ok. Varied comments from really nice to not my taste at all!!!.I found it a bit tart.Would i do another one,probably not, this one was really just an experiment.I have at present a Kiwi wheat,bottled but not yet carbed up.

Strawberry loses most of its flavor during fermentation, which is okay if you don't want significant fruit notes

Just opened one of my Kiwi Wheat's. Only just ready but a very decent drink,just a slight hint of Kiwi.I actually made a mistake and put only about a quarter of what i proposed into the FV.Think it was a good mistake to make as the full amount would have been too much for my taste i think.
Should be very good on a nice warm day sitting in the garden.One to re make for sure.
Should anyone feel like trying it,i can vouch for a nice beer.

how did you handle the kiwi. did you peel and mash?
Hi
i purchased some pre peeled and packaged in supermarket. Added fruit 4 days after start of ferment,left for 7 days and then racked into another FV and left for 5 days more before bottling

One thing I've found with kiwi fruit is they can have a laxative effect :eek:. As in if you eat like 4 or five well make sure a toilet is close by.

Back