Introducing your fermentable sugars?

MartinL

Trial Member
Reaction score
Eyup all.
A month or so ago brewed a kit and kilo bitter and posted a pic of the immense amount of sh*te at the bottom of the FV, thinking thats alot of sediment. giá xe tải van dongben 2 chỗ
I posted a thread with a pic and most seemed to agree. Anyhow the final abv% turned out at about 3.5% despite me adding an extra 250g of brewing sugar.
Well drinking it now and theirs a sh*t load (thats a technical unit of measurement btw) of what i believe to be medium spray malt at the bottom of bottles, hence the low abv.
xe hyundai hd700 đồng vàng
How do do you guys mix your sugars (or atleast malts) into your FV?? As i believe I have cocked up.

Last edited:
I get lots of floaties in my starters that's the only thing I use malt extract or spray malt in. I think shaking the crap outta it would fix it but nope:oops: so I'm not your man Lol. Good luck . Think if you go all grain you just need to worry about trub ;)

I'm assuming "spray malts" are the same as dry malt extract (DME).

I'm an all grain brewer, but I do occasionally add DME to the boil. Adding it to the boil will dissolve the DME into the wort and sanitize it at the same time. It doesn't have to be in the boil very long, just long enough to dissolve and sanitize.

When I add sugar to a beer, I add it late in the boil. Or better yet, I add it at high to late krausen in the fermenter as a sanitized simple sugar addition (cooled of course). This makes it easier on the yeast to metabolize (avoids the crabtree effect in early fermentation) and reduces any fusel alcohols that may occur with a high amount of glucose/sucrose in the early stages of fermentation.

Hope that helps.

Eyup all.
A month or so ago brewed a kit and kilo bitter and posted a pic of the immense amount of sh*te at the bottom of the FV, thinking thats alot of sediment.
I posted a thread with a pic and most seemed to agree. Anyhow the final abv% turned out at about 3.5% despite me adding an extra 250g of brewing sugar.
Well drinking it now and theirs a sh*t load (thats a technical unit of measurement btw) of what i believe to be medium spray malt at the bottom of bottles, hence the low abv.

How do do you guys mix your sugars (or atleast malts) into your FV?? As i believe I have cocked up.
Would that be an Imperial s***load or a metric s***load? ;-)
I brew both extract and all-grain and really don't notice a difference between the amounts of sediment in either case. Extract is generally cleaner, no hop debris and less protein gunk. I'm not sure what you mean by "medium spray malt," is that Aussie for DME? I'm guessing it was yeast: Dry extract would have dissolved and made alcohol in the fermentor - you'd never have seen it in the bottle and if you did, very quickly and carefully open and vent each - you'll get bottle bombs. Diagnosing from afar, here's my guess: You rushed to bottle before all the yeast had flocculated out. They then flocculated out in the bottle. Either that or you found a way, likely with heat, to kill the yeast before they finished. Is the beer in any way sweet tasting? If it were DME, you'd have residual sugar, resulting in a long, sweet finish. And potential bottle bombs.

I made a starter last night with DME 200ish grams to 2 LT boiled for the 10 minutes and when I cooled the flask there were little paper like floaties down the bottom of the flask. I think this may occur in a brew if I used DME so I think it is possible to get some sh&t as you put it at the bottom of the fermentor using DME if not disolved correctly.

I added the DME to cool wort I'd saved from a brew so maybe heating up water first then dumping in DME would give better results and disolve better.

I made a starter last night with DME 200ish grams to 2 LT boiled for the 10 minutes and when I cooled the flask there were little paper like floaties down the bottom of the flask. I think this may occur in a brew if I used DME so I think it is possible to get some sh&t as you put it at the bottom of the fermentor using DME if not disolved correctly.

I added the DME to cool wort I'd saved from a brew so maybe heating up water first then dumping in DME would give better results and disolve better.
Those little paper-like floaties are most likely proteins precipitated out of the extract by the heat of boiling. It's not that the DME is not dissolved correctly, it's that proteins denature and precipitate out. In fact, it should look a little like egg drop soup when done, if the pH is good and you boiled long enough.

Cheers nosey I checked starter this morning and I see them swirling around the bottom of the flask. I'm not too concerned with them but could imagine if they ended up in a beer bottle it would be unsightly.

Back