Stuck mash desaster

m0rt

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
Today I tried to brew an extra IPA but the mash just wont lauter. I tried the blow back, resettled the mash and even split the whole mash in two and tried to lauter just the half of it. Nothing works. I always end up with a stuck mash.
I hope one of you can tell me what has happened.
Here is the grainbill:
7.5 Pilsner Malt
0.6 caramünch 2
0.4 carahell
0.1 chocolate

Cheers

How is your mash tun set up? I wouldn't think that grain bill would get stuck like that.

Reactions: J A
Im mashing in a insulated fermenter (30L) with a thing we call "Läuterhexe"
I will definitly try rice hulls next time.

Crush? Did you crush yourself or have it crushed?

Too fine a crush? Nothing in there should stick if crushed properly.

Reactions: J A
I didnt mill it myself. Dont have an mill yet but i brewed a few batches with malt of this supplier and especially the very last one lautered like a little god.

Maybe they crushed for biab and didn't change the setting. Just a guess

Even with a BIAB crush, still wouldn't think that grain bill would get stuck. Did it flow for a start then stop? Or dribble from the start?
If you need rice hulls with a grain bill like this then you'll never be able to do a beer that usually needs hulls......

Hi there,
Today I tried to brew an extra IPA but the mash just wont lauter. I tried the blow back, resettled the mash and even split the whole mash in two and tried to lauter just the half of it. Nothing works. I always end up with a stuck mash.
I hope one of you can tell me what has happened.
Here is the grainbill:
7.5 Pilsner Malt
0.6 caramünch 2
0.4 carahell
0.1 chocolate

Cheers
So this ain't the first brew this has happened on mate? Sounds like your manifold/false bottom isn't up to the task if this keeps on happening. As Mark said its time to by a grain bag it will take the place of your manifold or whatever you use to filter grain from wort. They are cheap. You'll never need to worry about a stuck mash again. You save money on rice hulls and extra equipment. And you can mash 100% wheat if you want :p.

There are no adjuncts in that grain bill so like NZbrew said you'll have problems on more complex grists with adjuncts in them. Good luck hope we've helped look forward to hearing from your Hassle free BIAB brew days:D.

Well well you making the big dive into the dark side of brewing jmcnamara you must be confident in your tried and tested replicable brews mate? Good on you I was looking at a German made micro style brewery the other day a brew pub style one where your brewery is centre stage to the pub. Somewhere were people can come and drink craft beer and partake if they in the brewing throwing in the hops or watching the wort boil. Adds to the feel of the place this equipment was copper and stainless steel it looked beautiful this company will even help you get trained up if your new to brewing not that we are. Anyhow thread slant there sorry just excited for you jmcnamara .

Soon, not soon enough.

Not to belittle the recipes, but i think and I've heard that to fail you need to focus only on the beer. Not to belittle the wizardy alchemical science we do, but with a system that big there are certain automations and baselines set in. It's really in how you market and brand yourself. To the normal person, beer is beer. But, if i can connect to your story over the bloke next door, well, pour me another pint sir.

Here in the states, I think farm breweries are ready to explode. The idea of local made anything is high. Plus there are loads of local malters, hop yards, and other ancillary businesses going up year after year

One lady up in new Hampshire has something like 90% of all ingredients are within 100 miles

And I fully agree, put the beauties front and center. I want to cultivate a learning environment, to both homebrewers and novices. Project that I just make wort, we don't make beer.

And I definitely want to involve people. Submitting ideas for beers that we pick monthly to brew. They're in for free plus 5 friends, they bring at least 20 others and the general public. "Limited" special beer release creates crazy demand.

Appreciate the support. We're still a ways off, but inching forward. Always forward

Phew, thread is just about sideways now. Sorry everyone

Interwebs stay on a single topic ??
News to me !
My local micro brewery has all the equipment within sight but the beer is the star without a doubt closely followed by a friendly crowd .....one day they'll hire me as mash monkey / broom boy

You could easily make / buy a bag for your tun ....almost impossible for a mash to stick when you can just lift the bag
I started with BIAB had a brewhouse efficency of 60%. After switching to a läuterhexe I hit 80% Plus I am not able to lift my 8.5kg grainbag.

Even with a BIAB crush, still wouldn't think that grain bill would get stuck. Did it flow for a start then stop? Or dribble from the start?
If you need rice hulls with a grain bill like this then you'll never be able to do a beer that usually needs hulls......
The first pint was flowing nicely then it stopped to a dribble.

I guess I will let go of that mash and just try again.
Thanks for all yor answers though.

I started with BIAB had a brewhouse efficency of 60%. After switching to a läuterhexe I hit 80% Plus I am not able to lift my 8.5kg grainbag.

I don't believe he meant you to pull the bag just leave it in the tun and mash as usual without you manifold which is clogging.

The first pint was flowing nicely then it stopped to a dribble.

I guess I will let go of that mash and just try again.
Thanks for all yor answers though.

Too many variables to diagnose. Lauter tun setup, for instance. Can you give some more specifics? I'm still on the crush as the cause...

Too many variables to diagnose. Lauter tun setup, for instance. Can you give some more specifics? I'm still on the crush as the cause...
Totally agree, with the setup as described, grain bill, and the fact it starts off ok it does point to crush.

Back