Outdoor Brewing - Blowout-Resistant Burner Question

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I brew outdoors in Colorado, meaning I'm usually dealing with wind, wind that blows out my burner quite often if I don't have it cranked up higher than I need for the beers I'm brewing. I'd like to either find a burner that won't blow out or a design of a windscreen to keep the one I have lit. You are a brilliant bunch so I thought before I blew the dust off that engineering degree and tried to design something, I'd ask around and see if one of you have solved the problem!

I use the blichmann Tower of Power controller it automatically relights the fire if it goes out on my gas burner

You'll love my engineering prowess there Nosey good old fashioned aluminium foil draped over the sides of the brew stand to shield the flame :D.

That's where I brew.

I've tried the plywood route but I cut the sheet off, maybe too low. Perhaps it's time to rebuild the flame guard. I've seen a plan using a metal garbage can but it won't fit over my burner. The aluminum foil route - that one I'll try. As far as the garage goes, no water, so I'll keep my brewery in the walkout basement. And find a way to deal with the wind. Thanks, guys!

Get a 55gallon drum, cut the bottom down so the top rim is even with the top of the stand, cut it vertical and sand or grind well creating a wrap

Get a 55gallon drum, cut the bottom down so the top rim is even with the top of the stand, cut it vertical and sand or grind well creating a wrap
Yep. That sounds like a really good idea! I may try that one if I can find someone with the tools to help me make the cuts. Thanks!

also you can add some drawer pulls or fence handles so its easier to open and close

A hammer and sharp chisel will get a cut started then a metal blade on any good saw (jig saw, saws-all, skill saw etc.) will work. Just the chisel works but the cut isn't to smooth.

Nosy:

This was my solution.

Attachments

• P1210137.JPG
    P1210137.JPG
    450.7 KB · Views: 171
My latest thinking is to go to Home Depot, get some flashing and fashion a windscreen from it. I don't think my burner will get hot enough to melt aluminum....

I have a friend who for some reason, thought his aluminum pot was okay to be empty on the lit burner. He was right for about 1.5 seconds. He was surprised how quickly it burnt through!!

just use a sheet of galvanized metal then bend it into a square, that should work too

I have a friend who for some reason, thought his aluminum pot was okay to be empty on the lit burner. He was right for about 1.5 seconds. He was surprised how quickly it burnt through!!
Wow! I would've loved to see the look on his face when he went back to pour the strike water in :D.

There's a hole in my pot dear Eliza dear Eliza there's a hole in my brew pot no more beer for me:p.haha

Wow! I would've loved to see the look on his face when he went back to pour the strike water in :D.

There's a hole in my pot dear Eliza dear Eliza there's a hole in my brew pot no more beer for me:p.haha

You need to get back on beer!!!;)

Back