Wee Heavy Scotch Ale

GaryR

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just started my first Scotch Ale, OG is 1.108 (target was 1.105) using WLP028 pitched at 70 degrees, fermentation was robust started in about 8 - 10 yours, temperature is controlled virtue of a water bath at 64 - 66 degrees and does not seem to be in any hurry to rest after 5 days.
My question is this, my intent is to let it go for another 5 days, check the SG, (target is 1.029) and let the temperature rise to 68 - 70 degrees the final few days of fermenting of this beast. I am not familiar with high gravity ales and particularly this style of Ale which I understand requires longer fermentation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Just keep the hydrometer handy check gravity readings when you think attenuation should be complete

I brewed a wee heavy a few months ago with a WLP028 starter (I assume you calculated your pitch rate) and those temperatures are about what I fermented at. I wouldn't go any higher than 70 - I got some noticeable esters when I raised it at the end to between 68 - 70. I'll second what Trialben said; rely on your hydrometer instead of a set number of days.

I just started my first Scotch Ale, OG is 1.108 (target was 1.105) using WLP028 pitched at 70 degrees, fermentation was robust started in about 8 - 10 yours, temperature is controlled virtue of a water bath at 64 - 66 degrees and does not seem to be in any hurry to rest after 5 days.
My question is this, my intent is to let it go for another 5 days, check the SG, (target is 1.029) and let the temperature rise to 68 - 70 degrees the final few days of fermenting of this beast. I am not familiar with high gravity ales and particularly this style of Ale which I understand requires longer fermentation. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Don't be surprised if it takes 2-3 weeks to ferment. Big beers need lots of oxygen to start well and time to clean themselves out even when fermentation is complete. A secondary is not mandatory but could be helpful for it to finish out. I used this yeast for quite a while but the LHBS only carries Wyeast for liquid yeast so went to that instead. It makes great winter warmers and RIS's too:)

Back