Roast your own!

image.jpeg
It's malty it's sweet it's a beautiful golden / Amber colour it's got great head retention and it's finally cleared up and ready to show introducing my Sch its swartzy brew. I've got an additional attachment to this beer as I can say I roasted some of that malt that went in that. Enjoy everybody I hope this inspires you to roast your own. I haven't used that lighter roast yet. But from the sweetness I'm sure some melanoidin qualities entered into this malt . It tastes similar to my fiest beer.

Crikey! You made me mouth water with that one, mate!

A big, frosty, frothy slap in the face on a hot (Australian) summer day :D:D Sign me up!

We're supposed to have cold soon, too, but more like 5 °C (41 °F), so I can't complain to you!!

Brrrrr....
Well around about Christmas Day do you mind just blowing a little cold air my way as I know it's just going to be a scortcher. Christmas dinner cold leg ham cold chicken cold fruit salad and extra cold beer:p.

We're supposed to have cold soon, too, but more like 5 °C (41 °F), so I can't complain to you!!

Brrrrr....
Saturday's high is supposed to be 9 degrees F in Denver. Brrr. Was going skiing with the Grandson but that's just too damned cold.

Holly Molly that is brass monkeys weather there Nosey me being a warm blooded Queensland have never ever experienced temps this low that s -12c . Now you fellas wouldn't really need chillers over there for your brews at these temps. I bet your heat belts get a work out though:).

Yeah, we're kinda tough up here where the water goes counterclockwise down the drain like it's supposed to!!

[QUOTE="OkanaganMike, post: 28463, member: 1. Letting them sit and prolly start the Dunkelweizen in 2 weeks. Wooohoo![/QUOTE]

Hey Okanagan mikey boy how'd your Dunkle weaten turn out:p you get the roastiness and colour you were after in this brew. I was just reading through thread and thought i didn't get a follow up on your roast malts mate? Well I hope she came through for ya:) hope your not frozen solid over there in maple land:D

Yeah, we're kinda tough up here where the water goes counterclockwise down the drain like it's supposed to!!
Yea well over here in the land of Aus where pigs fly backwards on Wednesdays and were if your lucky you'll spot some weird creatures lurking in out streams and drop bears in our woods we consider these things a bit exceptional especially the bunyips by the campfires . But worst,of all when its time to go and you discover the water swirling the wrong way! That's when I say yep I've drunk me fill , night all its time I hit the hay:D.

Drinking a few tasters of this brew this evening just to wrap me taste buds around this brew and I tell ya what it is almost as I experienced with the raw roasted malt taste. Sweet and malty with some raisins full bodied Finnishing slightly dry.

But I didn't expect this similarity in flavour compared to the raw grain. I'm glad I took your advice everyone and just mashed with pils and the roast malt as nothing gets in the way of the roast malt flavours.

On reading up on determining malted barley flavour profiles I'm pretty confident on what you taste now when chewing the grain compared to doing a mini mash. reasoning is when I did the mini mashes with my roasted malt I got no caramel or raisins just colour approximation. But now that the beer is brewed and the flavours are revealing themselves I'm being reminded of the raw roasted barley and the flavour I tasted.

I know this brew will transform more as it ages for the better.

My take roast some malt mash it with some base malt let it shine don't go crazy on the hops,and your efforts will reward you;):D. Cheers!

[QUOTE="OkanaganMike, post: 28463, member: 1. Letting them sit and prolly start the Dunkelweizen in 2 weeks. Wooohoo!

Hey Okanagan mikey boy how'd your Dunkle weaten turn out:p you get the roastiness and colour you were after in this brew. I was just reading through thread and thought i didn't get a follow up on your roast malts mate? Well I hope she came through for ya:) hope your not frozen solid over there in maple land:D[/QUOTE]

Brewed it on the 6th after work. Complete shit show brew day what with brewing in the dark under the Christmas lights in -10C and bloody gale force winds. :eek: Had a bit of trouble with holding mash temps in the wrapped keggle so ended up with a 90min mash. After the boil, had a hell of a time with my water lines and plate chiller freezing up.:mad: Man! The stuff we do for our hobbies eh? Anyways, its only been 2 weeks and I'm figuring on bottling on the 27th so they have 3weeks to condition before the brew off Jan 18th. (Thinking bottling as I need to carb to 3 - 3.5 levels which is way more than my typical 2.2 in the kegs.) Hard to say if the color was affected as I had darker malts in the recipe as well. The yeast starter I made took right off and I'm pretty excited to try this beer out! Never made a Dunkel before or brewed with wheat so not sure if I'm gonna get what I'm expecting or not.

On the plus side, the arctic front thats been slapping all of Canada and most of the U.S has finally shifted and it +6 today! Gotta love the West coast even if I'm 4-5 hrs inland from it!

Title: Dunkelweizen Heinkel Schnitzelblitzen

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Dunkles Weissbier
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 75% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.13%
IBU (tinseth): 22.63
SRM (morey): 21.7

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - American - White Wheat (36.8%)
1.5 lb - American - CaraCrystal Wheat Malt (13.8%)
3 lb - American - Pilsner (27.6%)
2 lb - Canadian - Munich Dark (18.4%)
4 oz - German - Carafa II (2.3%)
2 oz - German - Melanoidin (1.1%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Domestic Hallertau, Type: Pellet, AA: 6, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 22.63

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Weihenstephan Weizen 3068
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 69%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 64 - 75 F
Fermentation Temp: 66 F

Last edited:
Ok she's all done lovely cruisy brew day even done a few chors in between the 90min boil and 60min mash to keep the missus smiling :p. Almost spot on with me predicted numbers from brewersfriend pre boil was 1.042 post boil into fermentor 1.052 after 90 min boil so I know I get around 10 points out of a 90 min boil sweet. It looks similar to my previous swartzy I swapped my 90min FWH of Hellertau for magnum and threw 10g of that in at 10 minutes. Tasting the test tube wasn't all too bitter to my utter suprise o_O but I got 78% brew house so I'm cheering.
image.jpeg

Update on the Dunkleweizen - Turned out great! This recipe nailed the BJCP guidelines to a tee. Great banana and clove nose and goes down real easy. Recvd 5th place in a local homebrew club brew off where the topic was to brew your take on a Dunkle. There were about 20 participants and all did some kind of Dunkle lager, pils or bock. Mine was the only weizen and definitely had that weizen taste. I later spoke to one of the judges for some feedback who told me they tasted a bit of astringency from my own toasting and would have placed 1st if not for that.
I later tasted it again and asked him to elaborate as I couldn't pick up on it and he back peddled a bit. This led me to believe it may have been because of all the clean crisper lager types everyone else brewed ( I was 13th in line) then all of a sudden you taste a weizen and it kind of puts you back on your heels a bit. Oh well, not a poor loser at all, this was an informal get together and a pretty wide open category. I would do it again for a specific Dunkleweizen category.

End of the day, I wasn't keen on this style but after the success and a couple weeks conditioning, the tastes smooth out and is starting to grow on me :)

Congratulations on your 5th place mike! I'm yet to enter any of my brews into a comp but am keen this year to get some diacetyl and DMS feedback lol:p.
Well I would've been interesting if you didn't put down that you roasted that malt yourself. Yea sometimes it seems they may be going out of f their way to find a fault.
I just pulled a sample of my second beer brewed with the lighter caramel malt and using 34/70 that nice malty flavour shines through nicely. Soon to get a bag of marris otter malt it will be an interesting malt to roast up:D.

Thanks Taliban ;)
They're pretty informal (the ones I go to) and a great opportunity for feedback on your brewing process. Next one is March and the category will be Saisons which I know I don't like so I'm outta that one. Wish I was closer to a larger area like Vancouver,Seattle, or Yakima where they have actual BJCP competitions to see how some of my beers actually stand up within a specific category I like.

@OkanaganMike i love your upyakilt porter ;) as I see your last in this thread.

Right I'm back at it again! Yes I know I'm roasting my own barley again this time Marris otter base malt to make a sorta transition old style brown malt as laid out in byo sorry ain't got the link but it's in porters. I want to brew a porter next for the upcoming brief 1 month below 20c cold spell lol :p sorry America and all northern mob:D. But as I found with the swartzy beer there aint nothing like winging it yourself especially with brown malt as I've found its rare.

Man one of my most complex beers was that shh it's swartzy beers with that home roasted 80l caramel malt it was absolutely delicious mmm so complex shedding new flavours with every sip I hope I can do that again. Except this time not a lager but a bold English style porter brewed 1:1:1 with Marris otter brown malt and the next third not sure yet. Yet again that's from BYO :) I'll have to re read that.

So any feedback on a standard not robust porter but standard caramelie porter I'm up for throw it at me this is new territory for me darkest brew I've done is Octoberfest.

I'll do some research on making old style brown malt and if you can direct me where I go wrong:rolleyes: cheers.

I've done Randy Mosher's 1776 porter a few times and really liked it.

One of the key things I think is taking about a half gallon or 2 liters of the first runnings and boiling that down so it's a thick dark goo. Just short of burning. Them pour in the rest of the wort and go on like normal.

You've got to keep stirring and watch it like a hawk near the end of that small boil so it doesn't scorch it

I've done Randy Mosher's 1776 porter a few times and really liked it.

One of the key things I think is taking about a half gallon or 2 liters of the first runnings and boiling that down so it's a thick dark goo. Just short of burning. Them pour in the rest of the wort and go on like normal.

You've got to keep stirring and watch it like a hawk near the end of that small boil so it doesn't scorch it
Cheers for the feedback there jmcnamara I will try this it's worth a shot ;).

Last edited:

Back