Fermentation Question

Nola_Brew

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I brewed a Pale Ale on 11/25. Used 1056 slurry. Pitched at 62 degrees. On 12/1 there was very little airlock activity (didn't check the gravity) so I added my dry hops. I did check the gravity yesterday and it was 1.012 which is where FG should be. So I was going to start the cold crash today and add gelatin but came home and there is now some airlock activity. it isn't much but I now have to wait a few more days so it can finish. Temp now is sitting at 67.
I rarely dry hop for more than 5 days. If I have to go until the weekend before bottling will there be a grassy or funky taste due to the extended dry hop?

dry hopping can agitate the yeast on the bottom and loosen co2 bubbles trapped on the bottom, they also have some oxygen inside when expanding, its not fermentation so if you think its done, its done

I'd go with hydro readings... if it's settled at 1.012 then bottle (or keg) it up!

I'll check it tomorrow= if its still at 1.012 then I'll cold crash, add gelatin and bottle.
Hopefully next year I'll get a kegerator. Really tired of bottling.

I'll check it tomorrow= if its still at 1.012 then I'll cold crash, add gelatin and bottle.
If you brew a lot and keep brewing you will eventually keg. It is so much easier. If you need beer to travel there are growlers.

It took me 20 years of brewing, but I finally started kegging!

I still find myself bottleing a couple per brew. I'm still dialling in my batch size so every last drop fill keg. But pulling a draught of beer in the comforts of your home is a real rewarding experience. I know you will have a broad smile on your face first time through :).

I still find myself bottleing a couple per brew. I'm still dialling in my batch size so every last drop fill keg. But pulling a draught of beer in the comforts of your home is a real rewarding experience. I know you will have a broad smile on your face first time through :).
Never really thought about it like that. Thanks TB! It really does feel good to pull that handle. Poppin' a top is in the same category I would guess, but pulling that handle turned on my own wood lathe is a good feeling.

I'm jealous. still need to get something better than the small plastic handle that came with the tap

Ive got 2 corny kegs, but still keep about 8 cases of bottles around. Half empty, half full. as others said, kegs are for solid beers to keep on rotation and bottles are for experiments and gifts

Never really thought about it like that. Thanks TB! It really does feel good to pull that handle. Poppin' a top is in the same category I would guess, but pulling that handle turned on my own wood lathe is a good feeling.
Now I need me some of those fancy turned up wooden draught handles. I've been imagining ones with a mini chalk board so I can write type of beer in tap. That's a great thread show us ya DIY tap handles.

I'll get my son to whip up some custom draft handles on his 3D printer... finally something useful :D

Half the thing would be a stock handle for all of them. each individual brewery would want a relatively similar design.

One off orders might not have much of a profit margin, but bars and breweries would definitely benefit from reusing much of the same template each time

You mean a tap handle unique to the brewery and the type of beer

Do 3D printers use Birch or Walnut or Oak or Koa or Rosewood or Teak or Pine or ...:p

I own a small wood lathe , really need to bring my shipping container full of tools down here and set up my own workshop again
Kinda sad that I miss my forge most of all

ha ha, I was in the custom cabinet business for 15 years, had a nice shop with everything any guy could imagine, your not the only one that loves to work with wood, I miss it

I was watching a bloke wood turning glued together used CDs last night not sure in the end what he was making but creative. I don't mind me word working but one of the few things to Do with wood working that I've no clue about is turning and that's exactly what I need to make me some tap handles:).

Yep macca plastic ones just don't cut it!

I'm invisioning a turned handle bit then square black board bit prob 2x2 inch then a turned nob on top o_O

Did I mention to youse I made a timber kayak :rolleyes: yea proud a that one:)

Last edited:
I still work timber for a living , mostly kits for the DIY market mostly for pergolas and a neat modular decking system we came up with .
Have done furniture and cabinetry over the years but many people down here won't pay for a truly quality job

Back