Stone Ruination Clone

OkanaganMike

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I'm playing with this recipe I found on BYO, Problem is I can't figure how to get the FG to drop to 1.010. I've got the OG right and the yeast it recommends. Mash in low at 149F. Anyone able to help me understand how I can manipulate the recipe and more importantly the actual beer if/when I brew it to get the FG lower?

Title: Stone Ruination IPA Clone
Author: BYO

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Double IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.055
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.075
Final Gravity: 1.022
ABV (standard): 7.07%
IBU (tinseth): 148.27
SRM (morey): 6.03

FERMENTABLES:
15.5 lb - Canadian - Pale 2-Row (93.9%)
1 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 15L (6.1%)

HOPS:
2.25 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 16, Use: Boil for 90 min, IBU: 126.82
1.5 oz - Centennial, Type: Pellet, AA: 10.5, Use: Whirlpool for 0 min at °F, IBU: 21.45
2 oz - Centennial, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 10, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Temp: 149 F, Time: 60 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - Whirlfloc, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - London ESB Ale 1968
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 69%
Flocculation: Very High
Optimum Temp: 64 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

Yep in the yeast section you can set custom attenuation and set it to percentage that reflects your final Gravity.

London ESB 1969 has an avg attenuation at 69%, so if you hit your OG of 1075, it should attenuate down to ~1.022 @7% ABV... hitting 1.010 would be 86% attenuation.

The recipe builder uses an average for attenuation - you may be able to get closer to max attenuation when you brew - some folks increase fermentation temp toward the end to help get the most out of the yeast, and of course giving it more time helps, too.

If you just want to see what the ABV would be at a higher attenuation you can change the AA% in the recipe builder, but that just adjusts numbers on the screen for the purpose of estimations. If you need more attenuation than the recommended yeast can give you, it might be necessary to switch to a more aggressive yeast.

I was thinking this as well altering attention is good when you've got a fair idea what you'll get out of given yeast. 69% is pretty poor attenuation but that's probably that yeast characteristics to leave a little sweetness in brew.

Another way of knowing yeasts attention capabilities is do a mini batch. When you've brewed your batch of beer pull off a few 100 mills and do a mini fermentation next to main batch. The mini batch will ferment out quicker but will give you an reflective idea of what yeast will ferment down to given that worto_O.

London ESB 1969 promotes malt and somewhat ignores hop flavor, I wouldn't use it in that beer which is not malty but hoppy

edit and that magnum is off the charts, you sure you have that right? way too bitter

Use US-05, ferment at 62 if you have the ability.

Kinda surprised by the yeast choice. Stone uses Cal-01 Or San Diego Super I think. With a clean base like that it would be sort of contradictory. The hops are in line for that clone and malt bill fits but I don't understand the yeast unless trying to keep some malt backbone. Ruination does have a strong bitter with some mouthfeel so maybe extra yeast nutrient and step temps to get it to finish farther. And of coarse a huge starter.
Edit: A ESB yeast would match with a big hop bill too I would guess. Make them stand out more? All Stone Beers the hops stand out.

Last edited:
Kinda surprised by the yeast choice. Stone uses Cal-01 Or San Diego Super I think. With a clean base like that it would be sort of contradictory. The hops are in line for that clone and malt bill fits but I don't understand the yeast unless trying to keep some malt backbone. Ruination does have a strong bitter with some mouthfeel so maybe extra yeast nutrient and step temps to get it to finish farther. And of coarse a huge starter.
Edit: A ESB yeast would match with a big hop bill too I would guess. Make them stand out more? All Stone Beers the hops stand out.

Here's the link to the BYO article. https://byo.com/mead/item/1721-brewing-in-the-stone-age
Got a new beer buddy who is pretty astute with beer. He's like a beer Guru or something. Anyway, he's familiar with Ruination and figures the hops aren't nearly enough in the article's recipe based on Steel's IPA book. Said it should have 3oz at whirlpool for 90mins @ 200F and another 2-3 dry hopped.
FWIW, I asked him about the FG and he added pitch enough yeast, switch to 05 and/or the "ancient San Diego secret" (sugar)

Last edited:

Back