Anyone use Super-Kleer, K.C. before?

Wood House Hall

Trial Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used this fining clearing agent before? I've read good things about it. I just added it to an irish red ale I am cold crashing. I tested the SG and it was already pretty bright in the test tube after 2 weeks racked in secondary (spot on SG, 3 weeks since brew day) . I thought I would try out the Super-Kleer and figured I would ask if anyone had experience with this.

Thanks!

Well, since I didn't get any responses I figured I would post my experience and results with this product.

I used one packet of the Super-Kleer on my all grain Irish Red Ale this past weekend right before a 48 hr., 38 deg.F cold crash (bottled the 5 gal. batch last night). This product comes in a clear packet with two sections separating the two compounds in the solution. You add the first portion to the beer in the fermenter and gently stir (trying not to kick up anything already settled out). You then mix the second portion to a cup of boiling then cooled water and add it to the beer. You must add the second compound between 1 - 24 hrs after mixing in the first compound. You do not need to stir in the second compound. Each of these liquids had a chemical name - see attached post photo for details.

Now cold crashing does a good job of clarifying and separating trub on its own. However, what I found different (and nicely surprising) is that much more trub was settled out than normal using this product. Further, the settled trub was much more "solid" on the bottom of the carboy meaning when I tilted the carboy to get the last bit of beer autosiphoned into my bottle bucket last night everything on the bottom stayed put. This was a nice change and limited the amount of trub and cloudiness transferred to the bottling bucket. This beer is crystal clear (especially with an Irish Red @ 1.009 FG) meaning it will pour high quality at 2.5 CO2 volumes.

Overall I am very impressed with Super-Kleer and will be using it again for my future brews.

FYI - I purchased this on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01J...uper+kleer&dpPl=1&dpID=518NtkWbOWL&ref=plSrch

**I am not affiliated with this product and this not a paid endorsement.**

Attachments

• 20161128_162309-756x1008.jpg
    20161128_162309-756x1008.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 20161128_162316-756x1008.jpg
    20161128_162316-756x1008.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 329
I'll post the final product when it's ready. I bottle carbonated, but I assume it will still be as bright as when I bottled. I'm looking forward to drinking this brew - flavor was great and it smelled amazing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!

I'll post the final product when it's ready. I bottle carbonated, but I assume it will still be as bright as when I bottled. I'm looking forward to drinking this brew - flavor was great and it smelled amazing.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!
It should have some sediment from your priming sugar. Remember to refrigerate for the week before serving to makemsuremthat yeast stays at the bottom of the bottle and watch your pour first signs of residue coming up bottle neck cut her off

The stuff will give you clarity you can otherwise only achieve with a filter. It really works! Like any fining agent, it strips some flavor compounds out but if I'm doing a Pilsner, I'm using Super-Kleer!

Thanks for the feedback Nosybear. I appreciate your comments based on your use of Super-Kleer. I wanted to make sure I wasn't chasing a rabbit down the hole and I hadn't heard from anyone else that has used it. At bottling time it was the cleanest, brightest beer I have conditioned to date. To Trialben's point, I know there will be some sediment from bottle carbonation, but I am very exciting to see a translucent Irish Red Ale. The flavor profile for this brew was quite strong with a 6.12% ABV so I am not that worried about any flavor compounds that the fining removed.

I'll let you know how it turns out when it is ready to drink. Thanks again!

For the record, the two brews I've used Super-Kleer on have been the cleanest and brightest beers I've served. They have the "commercial quality" look and are defiantly beer I'd pay money for. I think I'll use SK in the Fast Fermenter and skip the cold crash.

Back