Recipe Detail(?)

BPowell

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm new to this website (love it so far), and relatively new to home-brewing (I brewed some in my early days, so I'm jumping back in the game).
My question is about recipe details. I appreciate all the ingredients being listed (and greatly appreciate the ease of the "buy the recipe" option, but for a rookie, having some detailed steps would be helpful. Any way to get that detail on here?
Thank you for your help...
Bill

I'm new to this website (love it so far), and relatively new to home-brewing (I brewed some in my early days, so I'm jumping back in the game).
My question is about recipe details. I appreciate all the ingredients being listed (and greatly appreciate the ease of the "buy the recipe" option, but for a rookie, having some detailed steps would be helpful. Any way to get that detail on here?
Thank you for your help...
Bill
Details on how to brew the recipe? The recipe usually has the amount lovibond ppg of your malts as per hops the time to pop em in the boil the AA Bittering units. I'm not sure I understand your question and probably ain't the one to be answering :rolleyes:

Ah, the late evening, enjoying the fruits of your hobby, posts. As a new brewer, he's unsure of what to do with a recipe. It's something most of us here take for granted. I know there are some checklists here. I've glanced at them, but never used them. The very best thing to do is to watch somebody brew, and help him. It's not hard. But it looks daunting to a neophyte.

Let's outline a basic extract recipe.

1) steep grains at 155°F for what, 20-30 minutes? (Recipe should say)
2) pull grains out. Add extract. Bring to a boil
3) start a 60 minute timer. Add boiling hops
4) add additional hops as recipe states.
5) turn off flame
6) chill wort
7) pitch yeast

I do Brew in a Bag as my method. My "steep" is a mash that lasts 60 minutes. After that, I do the same thing as step 2 and the rest (No extract though). My brew method is exactly the same every time. So is everyone's really. That's why the basic instructions aren't there.

YouTube is a great tool for learning the brewing process I know I spent some time on there before doing my first all grain batch.

Or how to brew book John Palmer. It's online it's a detailed step by step brew book

Let's outline a basic extract recipe.

1) steep grains at 155°F for what, 20-30 minutes? (Recipe should say)
2) pull grains out. Add extract. Bring to a boil
3) start a 60 minute timer. Add boiling hops
4) add additional hops as recipe states.
5) turn off flame
6) chill wort
7) pitch yeast

I do Brew in a Bag as my method. My "steep" is a mash that lasts 60 minutes. After that, I do the same thing as step 2 and the rest (No extract though). My brew method is exactly the same every time. So is everyone's really. That's why the basic instructions aren't there.

Thank you. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. A home brew kit has "directions", but taking the step of doing it on you own can be daunting.

No doubt. Just like anything new! Do you live anywhere near Dayton, OH? I'll walk you through the process. And you'll get to sample my 6 beers on tap.

Thank you. That's exactly the answer I was looking for. A home brew kit has "directions", but taking the step of doing it on you own can be daunting.

Take the time to do a google search for "How to brew by John Palmer" .It is one of many how to brew reference guides out there to help you. Don't be intimidated by the technical stuff. Just read the parts you understand so to speak. Once you understand the need for sanitation then the rest just follows along. The brew steps outlined on this site are a good base to start from. They will remind you of the things you can forget which we ALL do sometimes. Most of all have fun with it. You stick with hobbies you have fun doing. Cheers!!!

have you looked at the brew session pages, lots of info there

Take the time to do a google search for "How to brew by John Palmer" .It is one of many how to brew reference guides out there to help you. Don't be intimidated by the technical stuff. Just read the parts you understand so to speak. Once you understand the need for sanitation then the rest just follows along. The brew steps outlined on this site are a good base to start from. They will remind you of the things you can forget which we ALL do sometimes. Most of all have fun with it. You stick with hobbies you have fun doing. Cheers!!!

Thank you. I have actually read that book, among many others. I appreciate the help that many of you have offered.

No doubt. Just like anything new! Do you live anywhere near Dayton, OH? I'll walk you through the process. And you'll get to sample my 6 beers on tap.

Thank you for the offer. Sadly, I don't live anywhere near you (I'm in Southern Oregon). I appreciate your willingness to share your craft, as well as your final product! Cheers!

Thank you for the offer. Sadly, I don't live anywhere near you (I'm in Southern Oregon). I appreciate your willingness to share your craft, as well as your final product! Cheers!
Well now Bill what have you in mind brewing wise for your brew mate? This is the detailed step I'm sure your keen to get cracking:)

Back