Adding Fruit To Some Roggenbier?

Joshua Peterson

Trial Member
Reaction score
Thought this was a German offshoot of something similar to a Hefe, but crap, with the dark seeping grains (don't know what it is but it smells like coffee) think i might have messed up thinking that i was going to add chopped frozen mango at racking time.

Anyone ever added fruit to a beer like this? maybe raspberries or blackberries would be a better fit?

Off the top of my head, some darker fruit like you said might fit better. Maybe even some raisin or other dried fruit like that.
But, I have also had some citrusy coffee flavors before that worked well together, but I think that might be harder to wing and get it right the first time

No prob. I'm interested in the result either way. probaby moreso if it's something I wouldn't think to do

I picked up the junk I'm going to add to the secondary

flaked coconut
dates
raisins
frozen mixed berries
frozen blackberries

I was thinking about dumping in a few bottles of some Pom Blueberry juice, guess i'll wait and see how it tastes the day i rack it and go from there

1 oz of flaked coconut
12 oz of dates
4 oz of raisins
16 oz of frozen mixed berries
16 oz of frozen blackberries
4 oz of pure bakers chocolate

Just got done racking into secondary

Amarillo dry hop would be my suggestion maybe some raisons. I personally think your putting way to much "junk" in there.

get_preview%203_zpshw1oicda.png

My labels that im going to have made.

get_preview%203_zpstdnbopvs.png
SAM_0021_zpsnyko2ign.jpg

Yep i added raisins to it buddy. It's doing pretty good, I bet it's going to turn out to be a killer brew! lol
If it's awesome and has Holiday Spirt, when i rack it once again to get it to clear up, im going to add a chopped up red beet in the carboy before transferring it over.

"Adventures In Brewing" If my sour turns out decent, I'm really going to reach new ground in 2017!

In the photo, my "oaking" sour brew is to the right there.

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I'm trying to get my sour beer video to upload on photobucket!

Don't ask me josh I'm not tech savvy loading a pic is hard enough ha ha

Racked it again just now to get it away from the fruit, chocolate, and settled yeast....

Didn't get to take much more then a small taste cuzz i'll be getting called here soon, but it's pretty good!
Chocolate flavor is quite pronounced at the start and then you get a bit of the fruit goodness at the end.

Thought i was going to add some red beets for color, but since it's already pretty dark, and with the chocolate punch at the start i think it might not end up looking that great. Hope to not let it sit for much longer, maybe the start of next week i hope to have the time to bottle it up.

Wish i could have had a bigger and better taste, little bit i did have sure had some character to it.

I wish i would have had it ready before Christmas!

I will let you know how it turns out buddy!

Just bottled it up

.... probably should have added about 5 more pounds of berries and cut the chocolate back to about 2 oz
maybe it will change when it's really ready to drink!

Back