Bavarian Pils

Tis very similar to my recent recipe which I must say you helped me to develop I've got 500g Munich 100g carapils and I think it was 100g acidulated. I added 3G gypsum 1g calcium chloride. Less pils and of course different pils malt. I went cascade and Fuggles for hop with pacific gem first wort which I'm definitely doing again.
I would brew with the grain bill you've got for sure I'm confident it will turn out ripper reita marky

I would like to know how it goes with 34/70 but Mark I'm brewing my next beer with that yeast this weekend.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/415755/t-b-pilsner

Only so many malts you can use in a proper Pils and still call it that , they do vary a lot from town to town
some are maltier , different signature hops and bitterness levels .... Need to head back to Germany for a beer tour me thinks

Only so many malts you can use in a proper Pils and still call it that , they do vary a lot from town to town
some are maltier , different signature hops and bitterness levels .... Need to head back to Germany for a beer tour me thinks
I see national homebrew sell bohemian floor malted Pilsner malt by weyermann I'm gathering this is along the lines of traditional Pilsner malt? So many lovely MaLts too little time to brew them. I was watching a Beersmith podcast,last,night on craft malting in America the maltster on there a female was growing old style malts on a farm and malting them and one Pilsner malt she had made a small extraction of was like an amber colour! So yep there are malts and then there are malts

I mostly avoid Lagers simply for keeping my beer stocks higher
Some friends are a bit annoyed that i don't brew " free beer " for them so about time i tried a decent Pils
Kolsch was a disaster but lucky i know girls who like cider and since it tastes like one i just tell them it is one :cool:

Very fine differences and a lot of overlap in the German styles , almost every town has it's " own beer " and is very protective of it

Very fine differences and a lot of overlap in the German styles , almost every town has it's " own beer " and is very protective of it
Not so much any more. AB Inbev has been just as busy in Germany as here. Last time I was over there, a commercial Bitburger tasted just like a Henninger tasted just like a Warsteiner and Kirner was no more to be found.... But I do see more local breweries popping up there, along the Mosel, in Darmstadt, in Ginnheim and Speyer. Even Heidelberg is getting into the local act. Our local brewpub has a head brewer educated at Weihenstephan - he brews a mean Pilsner! But that's what they teach there. A Pilsner: It's just about limited to Pilsner malt, some Carapils, some Acidulated. Anything else might be an excellent beer but it's not quite a Pils. Achhh, noch ein Bier, bitte!

How could they do that to me !
Looks like that beer guzzling trip to Europe and Bavaria may be on the back burner there Mark haha hey I'm sure the beer is still awesome ;) I could only dream of sitting in an German beer hall downing some Octoberfest or an Kolsch brewed in Koln is it spelled. Mmm one day maybe

I know girls who like cider and since it tastes like one i just tell them it is one :cool:

I wanna know Australian girls who like cider!! Sounds like a load of fun ;):D:cool: !!

But one question: Is the acidulated malt added just for mash pH, or does it add something to the taste/body?

I wanna know Australian girls who like cider!! Sounds like a load of fun ;):D:cool: !!

But one question: Is the acidulated malt added just for mash pH, or does it add something to the taste/body?
Generally acidulated is only to adjust mash pH. If you're going to use it to sour, you may as well use food grade lactic acid.

Agreed. the one time I used it for a gose it didn't taste nearly as tart as I wanted

Much better to throw a handful of crushed grain into the mash (once it's cooled to about 120F), maintain temp for 3 days or so to let the bacteria grow

Another brewer I know uses yogurt culture in kettle overnight , sours are not my thing so haven't tried it
I've tried that, used nosybear's recipe in fact. beer turned out all right, but I think my ferm temp was a bit high so it was quite fruity

Back