Ideas for Traditional IPA recipe

Thurston Brewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of modern IPAs (at least the American type) because the hops are just too strong and obtrusive for my taste. However, I've read that it's a traditional style that's been around for a couple hundred years. I'm curious if I would enjoy an IPA brewed to the original style.

I guess that would be a traditional English IPA... I don't really know what would be done differently from the (very large amount of) modern IPA recipes all around us. Would it just be reducing the hops? Would it be avoiding the dry-hopping altogether?

I'm asking for ideas about creating a recipe true to the original, old school English India Pale Ales of yesteryear. Anybody got suggestions or links?

a good one ive tasted and brewed and doing it again soon is Yooper's Pale Ale, I changed mine to not include dry hopping but instead uses mash hopping and a whirlpool

basically what they did way back when is brew a beer and store a bunch of hops in the barrel as a preservative kind of a long dry hop

basically what they did way back when is brew a beer and store a bunch of hops in the barrel as a preservative kind of a long dry hop
I believe they made it strong and hoppy so they could water it down when they got it to India. No sense paying to ship water also you could save on tax.

Here's a clone of one of my favorites, an IPA with a lot of caramel malt, English malt character and enough IBUs to satisfy quite nicely, the Dry Dock's USS Enterprise IPA:

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/288826/uss-enterprise-ipa

It has a very caramel-sweet backbone and lots of bitterness. It's hard to talk about balance and IPAs in the same sentence but this one comes close. It remains my favorite IPA.

I'm not a big fan of modern IPAs (at least the American type) because the hops are just too strong and obtrusive for my taste. However, I've read that it's a traditional style that's been around for a couple hundred years. I'm curious if I would enjoy an IPA brewed to the original style.

I guess that would be a traditional English IPA... I don't really know what would be done differently from the (very large amount of) modern IPA recipes all around us. Would it just be reducing the hops? Would it be avoiding the dry-hopping altogether?

I'm asking for ideas about creating a recipe true to the original, old school English India Pale Ales of yesteryear. Anybody got suggestions or links?

I built a couple of English IPA's and they were very good. Used Magnum for clean first bitter, lots of Goldings and then Fuggles for dry hopping. Like described needs some malt background, medium high ABV and about 60 to 70 IBU's. Actually a refreshing change from our new citrus cravings.

have you looked at New England / East Coast IPAs? They're much more fruitier, juicier, and less bitter than their West Coast counterparts. The few I've had reminded me of drinking OJ. Tons of hop flavor and aroma, but much more balanced

I know it's not "traditional", but it might be of interest for a future brew

Back