Roast your own!

Here's me grains boys:D! I tried to spilt a few of em up what do youse think?
image.jpeg

Hay and thank you to thirston and JMcnamara because youse made me rifle through my grain bucket and to my horror I discovered little creatures living in my Pilsner malt :eek:! I discovered this when tossing them grains on top of me freezer to crack open and I saw this little black wevel type bug slither off. Lucky for me I bought a freezer this week so all my grains in there ATM getting a deep freeze to kill them bugs:)

Great write up! Bit off topic with cow pee :D. Keeping it off track........I made my own jerky last weekend and weekend before that 25lbs of sausage!
Anyways.............Thinking of doing this to make my own Carawheat for a Dunkelweizen comp in January since I can't source it locally. Don't see why this wouldn't work same for wheat, any objections? o_O

Great write up! Bit off topic with cow pee :D. Keeping it off track........I made my own jerky last weekend and weekend before that 25lbs of sausage!
Anyways.............Thinking of doing this to make my own Carawheat for a Dunkelweizen comp in January since I can't source it locally. Don't see why this wouldn't work same for wheat, any objections? o_O
I toasted flaked wheat once for a red ipa. kept it low and slow in the oven, and mixed it around every so often. the beer turned out great, but not sure of it had anything to do with my toasting

That's pretty much the method I used for my roasted malts lowest setting on Webber and like 4-5 hours of attention every beer or so:D

Yep in the Webber Q sorta like an oven I just turned em heaps that's why I used deep sided pan so I could really flick em round:). Was about 110c then once dryed out I upped it at end to 180 c first time but won't be me last

I just got to thinking I did exactly what your doing the first time I roasted barley but it was my home malted and I added too much without first tasting the grain and the beer had a burn taste to it, it wasn't bad but not what I wanted, so taste the grain, does it taste chard, burnt at all or roasted ?
that will determine how much to add

No chared taste Ozark like I posted before a raisin type taste sweet and maybe little biscuity it's a tough one to describe. I maybe outta my league on this one but I'm thinking whatever flavour and colour it adds to my beer it's going to be great! Ah optimism :rolleyes:. But the amount is questionable for sure you think 500g may be too much?

Well, you're blazing new trails, TB... you get the joy of finding all the answers through your experimentation.

Only problem is that your research will require you to drink beer... think you can handle it? :rolleyes:

The proof will be in the pudding Ozark and Thurston :). I'm thinking I'll use a lager yeast with this brew again I think 34/70 will highlight any malt character with this roast grain well. Will wait another week and brew this next weekend.

Ok I figured out how I'm going to get a good idea on the colour and roastiness of these two malts i roasted. I was watching brew dudes podcast on YouTube just before they were testing an array of roast malts using a cool technique where they ground up a small portion of the roast malt added to mason jar filled with heated mash water and did a mini brew boiled it then tasted the wort to get a good idea of the qualities and colour of the malt! So yep this is what I'm going to Do.
1 using special b
2 using my home made 80l malt
3 using lighter home made malt.
Then using special b as an indicator of colour and sweetness see what I get. I'll post a pick of the finished tinctures ;).

Ok I figured out how I'm going to get a good idea on the colour and roastiness of these two malts i roasted. I was watching brew dudes podcast on YouTube just before they were testing an array of roast malts using a cool technique where they ground up a small portion of the roast malt added to mason jar filled with heated mash water and did a mini brew boiled it then tasted the wort to get a good idea of the qualities and colour of the malt! So yep this is what I'm going to Do.
1 using special b
2 using my home made 80l malt
3 using lighter home made malt.
Then using special b as an indicator of colour and sweetness see what I get. I'll post a pick of the finished tinctures ;).

If your going to go to the that much trouble then you should do a light crystal like 10 or 20L for comparison also.
By the way if your getting rasins flavor your between 80 and 150L and the lighter around 20 to 40L IMO. Brew on good lookin malts:)

I've held off long enough , sorry to be that guy, but tinctures are alcohol based

Not knocking what you're doing at all, it's a great idea. makes me want to do some test batches like that

(Takes semantic hat off), anyone want a beer?

Thanks for the correction jmcnamara if you had never said anything it would have eaten away at ya. So na no tincture a small test sample ;)

Back