Southern Maryland

Twinhuey

Trial Member
Reaction score
I finally decided to make the leap and learn how to brew my own beer! Most of the equipment I bought from someone getting out of brewing so I think I have everything but a large steel pot! He did recommend this site for some great information!

He recommended well. Welcome!

Welcome from a MD expat. What part of SoMD are you from?

Your kettle can also double as a steam pot for crabs. and you can use a propane burner for your boils / fried turkey. just sayin...

Welcome. Save yourself the hassle of upgrading shortly after you start and get a minimum 15gal kettle. If you're cooking outside on gas I suggest finding a beer stainless 15.5 gal beer keg and cutting the top off it. Youtube it for examples.

Cheers Huey good luck with your homebrew journey it gets better from here :p.

We are down near Pax River
That's cool, my grandmother was from Leonardtown and I think I still have some family in St. Mary's Co. My grandparents had a little house in Town Creek just over the bridge from Solomon's. I was there a lot during the summer when I was a kid.

Speaking of big steel pots....I needed a bigger one for my last batch so I borrowed my friend's aluminum crawfish pot. I'll let y'all know if it ends up being Metallic Crustacean Stout, but the wort tasted fine.

Has this forum had the "stainless vs. aluminum" debate yet? :p

Last edited:
I have both, I started off with aluminum and all beer out of it was good, you just don't want to clean it too good by scrubbing the oxidation off...I still have a 15 gallon aluminum pot with an element mounted inside, I might be selling off allot of goodies if I could get out of this lazy streak I'm in

Attachments

• WP_20161115_004.jpg
    WP_20161115_004.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 133
  • WP_20161115_002.jpg
    WP_20161115_002.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 149
Has this forum had the "stainless vs. aliminum" debate yet? :p
6 times. The score is 3-3. :D Just kidding, but I know it's a discussion in every homebrew circle anywhere.

Speaking of big steel pots....I needed a bigger one for my last batch so I borrowed my friend's aluminum crawfish pot. I'll let y'all know if it ends up being Metallic Crustacean Stout, but the wort tasted fine.

Has this forum had the "stainless vs. aliminum" debate yet? :p
Based on my limited knowledge I will be going for a stainless steel pot, a bit more money but it should hold up better in the long run

Welcome, I just got started about 2 months ago did an extract my first time then straight to all grain, this is the first forum I joined ; and these guys have been a wealth of information, and are alot of fun to talk to. Cheers and have fun with it!!

Has this forum had the "stainless vs. aluminum" debate yet? :p
Hmmm crawfish stout interesting :rolleyes:

There's oyster stouts, flying dog did an Old Bay beer. not too far off

I bought a 6 pack of the Old Bay beer when I was up there last summer and I kinda liked it. It makes a really good michelada, if you're into that sort of thing. This year Abita came out with a beer that was supposed to taste like crawfish boil spices, but I didn't really care for it .

Back