Go to Brown Ale recipe

Stephen P

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good brown ale recipe. More on the British side. I have a good american brown ale recipe, but I looking for something more malty. Thanks

Thanks I was playing around and was thinking about this grain bill.
10 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb c120
.5lb victory malt
.5lb chocolate malt
.5lb flaked oats

10 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb c120
.5lb victory malt
.5lb chocolate malt
.5lb flaked oats
That looks like a good place to start. (because I have to suggest something) maybe think about swapping the amounts of the c120 and victory. idk if raisin plum flavors are in my prototypical brown ale. and the increased victory I'll give it a bit more of a toasty biscuitness to it.

But, I'm no style fiend and definitely don't know the bjcp guidelines, so brew on!

any brown ale recipe will translate just replace the American with English grains, they will all translate, good luck

any brown ale recipe will translate just replace the American with English grains, they will all translate, good luck

Edit: just reread you said grains. Sorry.

Sorry to knowingly derail the thread, but would you say the hops and yeast choice are the biggest differentiators between geographical styles?

Like, an English vs american IPA or Brown Ale is more defined by your use of East Kent Goldings or Cascade rather than Maris Otter or American 2 row.

Belgians are a different beast I think, where the yeast is front and center, and it's a very different beer with a different yeast.

But, can there be a New Zealand Pilsner? Am I foreseeing a 2016 or 2017 style?

Side note, I can see Nelson Sauvin being a very fine choice for a Pilsner or similar lager

you would be correct, yeast and hops are the biggest difference, grain is very close but not as noticeable

Using their gladfield Pilsner malt and all New Zealand hops. I did a smash with nelson sauvin and personally ain't a big fan of this hop on its own. When paired with a piney citrusy hop is just lovely

10 lbs Maris Otter
1 lb c120
.5lb victory malt
.5lb chocolate malt
.5lb flaked oats
Thinking maybe a little brown malt also.

The 2nd recipe looks delicious!

I'm about through my Gellatly nut brown and was very happy with it. I've tweaked the second generation as I wanted more dark caramel/raisin and wanted to see if I could get it a bit more biscuit"y". Note I've added toasting the oats in the oven too. Haven't brewed #2 but can't wait to empty whats in the pipeline to try it out.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/336850/gellatly-nut-brown-ale
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/410888/gellatly-nut-brown-ale-ii

Back