Roast your own!

GFHomebrew

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
anyone o here ever tried roasting their own malted barley for brewing? I know there is some rule afterwards to leave for 2 weeks some astringency thing. I haven't really researched it much so was hoping to pick your brains on the subject:). Or any suggestions on good reading material to do with this? I remember palmers book had a section on this. While I'm at it how about crystal malts anyone had a crack at converting their own then roasting it complicated process I know I've got a sack full of Pilsner malt so was gunna roast up a kg or two:).

• Gold Malt (est. 20 L) that is malty, caramelly and rich but not toasty roast your base malt for 25 minutes at 300 degrees F.
  • For Amber Malt (est. 35 L) that is Nutty, Malty, and lightly toasty roast your base malt for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
  • For Copper Malt (est. 100 L)that has a strong toasted flavor with some nutlike notes roast your base malt for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.
  • For Brown Malt (est. 175 L) that has a strong roasted flavor, roast your base malt for 50 minutes at 400 degrees F.
  • For Chocolate Malt (est 200+ L depending on time and heat): You need more heat and control than what you can get in the oven. For Chocolate malt use a clean stainless steel or cast iron fry pan on low heat, slowly bringing medium-high heat. You need to stir or shake the pan constantly and not let any kernels sit still or you will end up with scorching instead of dry roasting.
This is something I scratched up online . It doesn't seem too hard

• For Crystal/Caramel Malt soak 1-2 lbs of pale 2 row in just enough water to cover plus about an inch (make sure you use distilled, filtered tap, or spring water). Let soak for a few hours, but no less than 2 hours and no more than 24, I soak for 3-4 hours. Then Put grains into a pan and keep grains about 2″ deep then place into a preheated 180 degree oven (make sure you have a probe thermometer in the oven and not to let the temps inside the stewing grain to go above 160. If they do reduce your ovens temperature) for 1 1/2 hours. Then spread out grain into 2 separate pans and make sure the grains are no more than 1″ deep. Then increase temperature in over to 250 and let bake for 2 hours or until dry. Then if desired remove from oven for light crystal, or use the roasting guide above to create your own darker versions of crystal malt.

What a crazy idea! I never thought of roasting my own. Have to give it a try some day.

Might be a good way of saving money + it's cool to do stuff yourself! Now, where is that barley seed catalog???

go for it, Ive malted and made a lot of different grains, found an easy way to make crystal with my portable turkey oven

Web site I found this information from is barleypopmaker.info I read some really great reviews on his roasting methods but sounds like you have to get a feel for your oven much like different brewing systems :p. Yep I'm going to have a go at just roasting first probably Amber type first then try some crystal once I've got a good feel for it! Gunna give the Webber Q a good clean up and have a crack this arvo:DI'll post a pic for youse.

maybe try it when wifey's out... bound to smell up the place!!

All in the quest for the perfect homebrew =D

maybe try it when wifey's out... bound to smell up the place!!

All in the quest for the perfect homebrew =D
Mmmm roasting my malt at the moment it smells heavenly nice caramelie intense malt smell floating through the house I soaked the grain in water for 30 min drained water and roasting now on low heat 150c for about an hour now. It was quite sticky at the 30 minute mark as suggested by old mate so I turned down the heat keep turning it and waiting for it to dry out.

image.jpeg
Oki doki she's all done it's not sticky anymore back to same consistency as when I started. I'm not sure on what lovibond it is. First photo is the Pilsner base before roasting. Second photo is the final product I've got 800g it weighs so I'll be pitching this all in for a brew soon. What do ya recon look tasty:D.
image.jpeg

Remember the outside color is meaningless, its the inside of the grain that they measure for srm

I hear it's a relatively easy process to do in the oven. I don't. With over forty malts available a few miles down the road (and a good pint next door to the shop), it's not something I want to spend my time on.

Remember the outside color is meaningless, its the inside of the grain that they measure for srm
Cheers Ozark I will break some of the kernels open I'm hoping to do a batch of crystal today following the instructions from barleypopmakers website:). It smells pretty good when roasting it up if that's any indicator for final beer flavour I can't wait to mash some. Any one up for Pilsner crystal malt?:p

Nosy I haven't got any home brew store near me selling any selection of malts mostly extract and if they do by chance stock any grain it will be half a kg crystal for like $6.5 plus I'm just experimenting

It's also easier to buy beer than make it. Everyone has a different threshold of how much they want to do in homebrewing.
I hear it's a relatively easy process to do in the oven. I don't. With over forty malts available a few miles down the road (and a good pint next door to the shop), it's not something I want to spend my time on.
I fully respect Nosy's thoughts on the subject. He is absolutely correct that it's more effort than he wishes to spend. And Trialben is absolutely correct that he wants to try it. Everyone's a winner!

Yep I'm drawing the line at malting my own barley I'm not that crazy or hard core DIY homebrew. But roasting why not home made Belgian candy sugar why not home grown hops mmm one day:D

In the end I'm not going to do a good a job as a professional maltster heck I'm not even sure of the lovibond of the resultant malt but one thing I'm sure of I'm enjoying the process and it will add one more dimension to my Finnished brew and I can say "I made that":).

It's also easier to buy beer than make it. Everyone has a different threshold of how much they want to do in homebrewing.

I fully respect Nosy's thoughts on the subject. He is absolutely correct that it's more effort than he wishes to spend. And Trialben is absolutely correct that he wants to try it. Everyone's a winner!
Absolutely! And i didn't mean to imply ypi shouldn't try!

I've toasted my own oats, made my own candi syrup, baked my own bread... I encourage everyone to try whatever they want to try. I'm now making my own cheese.

I've toasted my own oats, made my own candi syrup, baked my own bread... I encourage everyone to try whatever they want to try. I'm now making my own cheese.
How about salami fermented meats? Now that is something that goes hand in hand with a beer. Either salami or beef jerky!

I do beef jerky. In fact, I'm running low. I'll be making some soon. Maybe I should grow my own cow first! :p

Back