Adding more Hops and Barley to the existing list.

Jacoxl

Trial Member
Reaction score
Good Day Guys,

I am from south africa and doing all grain brewing.

i find your website and software extremely helpful to work out my recipes and brews.

what is the possibility of adding the local hops and barley that is available to us here is South africa?

we have about 5 hops and three barley varieties. i can provide all the technical information that would be requaierd

I know you can manually add in hops and their AAs but the malts are outta my league

There's a few Australian / NZ malt suppliers that don't show up either , from what i am guessing it comes down to the " Buy this recipe" functionality that our US friends get , our local ingredients are unlikely stocked by Homebrewsupply.com so basically we dip out .
you can enter the closest match for your malt , if the PPG or colour is different then it's add custom fermentables.
Your supplier should be able to quote you these over the phone .
Wouldn't matter what the name of the hop is , the numbers will add up as long as you input the correct AA

on the upside for me , clicked the button for one of my recipes and it's cheaper for me to buy it local anyway :)

So I guess that means that them Aussie and Kiwi malts aren't gunna show up on the fermentables drop down box no time soon then aye yooper

The values on much of the JW /BB and Gladfields malts have direct comparison with stuff already there , only takes me a few minutes to get it worked out

So I guess that means that them Aussie and Kiwi malts aren't gunna show up on the fermentables drop down box no time soon then aye yooper

If many people want them, then we could add them for all. I use a few malts that aren't in the list (Canadian two-row by CMC is the one I use most often) but I just added it via the custom fermentables and now I have it.

If many people want them, then we could add them for all. I use a few malts that aren't in the list (Canadian two-row by CMC is the one I use most often) but I just added it via the custom fermentables and now I have it.
Yep makes sense yooper gladfield malts I haven't used but they seem to be a reputable kiwi maltster and Barett Birston is probably our number 1 in my opinion Aussie Maltster apart from Joe White Who are the standard lower grade. Who knows one day maybe if enough Aussies jump on board here. Great site regardless it's meets all my small time home brewing requirements cheers ;).

I'd really like the ability to add custom malts to my inventory and have it cross over to my recipe editor when creating a recipe. We have an amazing maltster up here that is local to us, and they offer a lot of custom products that are a pain in the rear to constantly input into the recipe.

I'd really like the ability to add custom malts to my inventory and have it cross over to my recipe editor when creating a recipe. We have an amazing maltster up here that is local to us, and they offer a lot of custom products that are a pain in the rear to constantly input into the recipe.

Add it under custom fermentables in your inventory and it should be there for the Recipe Editor to pull up.

Back