Grapefruit Rye Ale

Joshua Peterson

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm ice bathing this wort right now in the sink.

3 gallon boil
5 gallon total in carboy

3 pounds liquid rye extract malt
6 pounds of liquid light malt extract

14 oz of whole grain American rye seeped for 45 minutes

Hops
1 oz Northern Brewer pellet..... 60 min
1 oz Fresh Hops ......................60 min
1 oz Fuggle pellet.....................10 min
1 oz Fresh Hops.......................10 min

1 pack of Wyeast 1214 Belgium Abbey liquid SmackPak

================================
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/415194/muffy-s-belgium-rye

=================================

My question is, I have some 1 oz packs of dried Grapefruit peel, if this turns out to be a decent base for any future Rye Brews i make, when and how much of it would you guys suggest i add? ..... as well as anything else i should think about adding as far as fruit and spices?
Thanks guys!

interesting, don't think i've seen a rye / citrus combo before. what made you think of that?

I made a wit a while back that had 1.5 oz of zest in a 5 gallon batch. but that was a mix of orange and grapefruit zest, I think a 2 or 3 to 1 ratio. it turned out pretty good. it went in during the last few minutes of the boil

you've probably seen this elsewhere, but the one drawback i've seen with those packets from a LHBS is that they contain a bit of the pith which is overly bitter. not sure if that's where you got your packs, but if you zest it yourself you can control that amount somewhat

whatever you do, i'm curious to hear how the rye and fruit play off each other

Thanks buddy, i read a couple recipes on here that had it added, but i couldn't remember if the owner even showed it being brewed, and i couldn't remember off the top of my head when they added it to the wort! I'll write down your info in my brew log book!

My packs of zest are the "Brewer's Best" brand? Doesn't look like there is too many white grains in there?

interesting, don't think i've seen a rye / citrus combo before. what made you think of that?

I was digging threw my supplies in the fridge when i saw the packs, thought heck, that might be tasty! LOL
I have an IPA kit that's going to get brewed next, i bought them for that batch.

Whatever you do, i'm curious to hear how the rye and fruit play off each other

If they rye turns out to be a decent base recipe I'm going to do another batch after that IPA and i will let you know buddy!

I have dry hopped a regular IPA with about 1 1/2 orange zest that was outstanding. Next up is my rye PA with Amarillo hops. I'm not saying no but if it were me I would save the grapefruit for a different beer. It may be good but I like to try and only highlight one thing at a time

I have dry hopped a regular IPA with about 1 1/2 orange zest that was outstanding.

Sweet, i'll write that down also in my book!

Yep, im trying to get together a good solid base recipe on most of the styles of beer i like, and then occasionally do an off shoot of something totally different using the same base recipe. That's my main goal as a brewer anyways.

Sweet, i'll write that down also in my book!

Yep, im trying to get together a good solid base recipe on most of the styles of beer i like, and then occasionally do an off shoot of something totally different using the same base recipe. That's my main goal as a brewer anyways.
That's how I do most of my brews. Kind of like a soup stock at least that's how I think of it.

Is that you in the photo Joshua? Looks like Star Trek style going on.

Nope that's not me buddy! Been racking my brain on what to call myself as a home brewer so i can make up some labels, that profile pic is the same one i use on this QR code game i play on my phone. Beer + Home Brew + Star Wars = ????????

Back