Keg conditioning

LlewellynBrewHaus

Premium Member
Reaction score
So I have a a full kegerator and cold crashing the fermenter today ...has anyone had good results priming a brew in the keg? Feels like I got at least 10 days till next keg kicks, and was thinking why not save some gas and let my yeasties carb up my LPX
Any takers ??

I added a 1/2 cup of corn sugar to the keg in my last 5 gal batch and it went to 16psi in 8 days. So, maybe a little less than a half cup? Nice tiny bubbles though, yeasty first pint sample.

I added a 1/2 cup of corn sugar to the keg in my last 5 gal batch and it went to 16psi in 8 days. So, maybe a little less than a half cup? Nice tiny bubbles though, yeasty first pint sample.
Hmm I was wondering if it would require lest sugar since it's a single vessel .. Did you seat the lid of the corny with gas first ? I was concerned that deal may not hold till yeast built up co2 levels

General rule of thumb is half what you would use for 5 gallons in bottles. It's determined by head space volume

Interesting thread Llewellyn that way your keg is carbed when ready to hit the kegerator. I hear coopers prime all their kegs with cane sugar Mark will have the details as that's who I herd it off:rolleyes:.I haven't done this yet if and when I get that 4-5 keg I'll be sure to give it a go.

Last edited:
Well what about carbonation for wheat beers where co2 levels can be quite high same as for some Belgium blondes. You could prime her right up with Dex or even some candy sugar and reach them High carb levels that may be a bit of an issue with regulator I know mine goes to 40psi is max. I'm not experienced kegger here but it seems an idea.

Well what about carbonation for wheat beers where co2 levels can be quite high same as for some Belgium blondes. You could prime her right up with Dex or even some candy sugar and reach them High carb levels that may be a bit of an issue with regulator I know mine goes to 40psi is max. I'm not experienced kegger here but it seems an idea.
Eventually, as I understand it, every keg in your keezer will have the same carbonation. You'd need to put a discreet regulator on every keg to make it different. Absorbed carbonation is a function of keg temperature and CO2 pressure.

Eventually, as I understand it, every keg in your keezer will have the same carbonation. You'd need to put a discreet regulator on every keg to make it different. Absorbed carbonation is a function of keg temperature and CO2 pressure.
Yep too true there jeff. I have one regulator that splits too two kegs the third just sits there till one keg is kicked of I feel like sampling it. I does it every now and again with some co2 till then.

Interesting thread Llewellyn that way your keg is carbed when ready to hit the kegerator. I hear coopers prime all their kegs with cane sugar Mark will have the details as that's who I herd it off:rolleyes:.I haven't done this yet if and when I get that 4-5 keg I'll be sure to give it a go.
That is the plan as of now...plus I figure a couple weeks extra conditioning won't hurt either. It will save me the trouble of sampling 25% of the keg to check carbonation :D and opens up my fermenter for my chocolate cherry bock !!! Woohoo

That is the plan as of now...plus I figure a couple weeks extra conditioning won't hurt either. It will save me the trouble of sampling 25% of the keg to check carbonation :D and opens up my fermenter for my chocolate cherry bock !!! Woohoo
One down side in my book and I don't want to be a downer what about cold conditioning time? For example and this may not apply to those who can effectively cold crash before transfer. When I rack to the keg its usually still a little cloudy then is settles more as it sits,in the cool keggorator.i suppose its like one huge bottle it will settle out without cold conditioning it'll just take longer like probably a month.:)

One down side in my book and I don't want to be a downer what about cold conditioning time? For example and this may not apply to those who can effectively cold crash before transfer. When I rack to the keg its usually still a little cloudy then is settles more as it sits,in the cool keggorator.i suppose its like one huge bottle it will settle out without cold conditioning it'll just take longer like probably a month.:)
I don't think I'll have a prob its sitting at 35 degrees now getting Jell-O shot later today. yes there will be some fallout in bottom of keg from priming but I have a feeling it will pour out in the first couple pints time will tell

I don't think I'll have a prob its sitting at 35 degrees now getting Jell-O shot later today. yes there will be some fallout in bottom of keg from priming but I have a feeling it will pour out in the first couple pints time will tell
Yep youse are heading in reverse to us it is like living in a sauna here today them summer ales can come soon enough:)

keg conditioning can work very well , *full disclosure* i don't keg at home but almost every beer i buy is keg conditioned ,
also have no idea how much priming they add to the kegs

I just bottled the keg this morning, that I mentioned above with the 1/2 cup sugar, because it was cold enough to really bring it down with the overnight temps low of 27f. I used conan yeast in this beer- man was the yeast patty at the bottom of that keg thick. The bottled beer is fairly clear and clean; better looking than a northeast ipa. Success!

Back