How many of you have dumped finished batch of beer

How many of you have dumped finished batch of beer

• Total voters

Ozarks Mountain Brewery

Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
For what ever reason how many people have dumped a full batch of finished beer, Ill go first, had a fantastic beer decided to repeat it the next brew, something went horribly wrong and it tasted nothing like it was supposed to so I kept it until the next beer was ready then dumped 8 gallons of finished beer

I found a Fat Tire clone here on my first recipe search. I assumed it would be good, because I didn't know otherwise. It did not fit the Amber Ale style, which I learned later as I became more familiar with recipe creation. It tasted like water that was used to boil hot dogs. I'll have to look and see who posted that recipe!

2012 had 1 turn to vinegar. :oops:
Have practiced good sanitation and used unscratched ferment buckets since then.

My first batch was a stout extract kit. didn't know any better at the time, but it definitely had a vinegar taste that we somehow choked down.
I did a strawberry blonde that was initially good, but after a while it was just bleh. and I needed the bottles for another batch.
Made a braggot and dry hopped with hibiscus for far too long. that was an astringent brew like no other, but didnt dump it
My second attempt at a sour mash ended up smelling like vomit, hat got chucked real quick

Other than those, thankfully, haven't brewed anything that was bad enough to dump. Maybe not good enough to brew again, but that's a different story

Never had to dump a batch. I've made some mediocre beer but those I've bottled and drank them during lean times or give them away to people who don't know the difference.

Early 2016...... an Oktoberfest i had to dump out, let the carboy sit on the counter for to long before racking it for a second fermentation. Bummed out over it, what was left in the primary bucket was extremely tasty!

I'll finally be bottling my honey wheat here in couple more days, and my jalapeno cream ale shouldn't be much more longer either!

I used to do some crazy brews my homebrew supplier yoused to laugh at the things I'd force into my beers like red licourish that I melted down into my boiling wort scorched bottoms I added this to a pale extract base and the beer did have a red taint and tasted like licourish but was a pretty weird concoction I drunk it all though:confused:.

But I've had two dumpers #1 a dandelion pale ale! Yep after reading what old style beers we're bittered with before hops came around I read dandelion roots were,used . Well I had a heap of these sprouting in the lawn out back so I dug em up cleaned em and then made a tincture with em and tossed em in a pale,extract coopers brew:eek: yuck very bitter it was weird in so many ways I forced a few,down my gullet as I use a rule that if its not great I drink it making next time I brew a lesson to not stuff it up!:oops:

#2 a cider! I teed up with my local fruit market to throw me all their spoilt apples I got a few boxes of of them and proceeded to throw em through a juicer pasteurise about 80c for half hour but not boil something to do with pectins in fruit and haze. Anyhow I left this in fermentor for maybe a month or more and upon tasting it was vinegary! So I though I'm gunna leave this in there and make apple cider vinegar! 6months on it was definitely more vinegary but I dumped her she was nasty!

I'm going to go touch some wood so I don't jinx my next batch:p.

I had two batches in the early days that were invaded by Huns in the fermenter. Definitely needed a burial at toilet, but I wouldn't call them 'finished beers'.

I've been lucky in that I've never had a beer get infected. I did make a chipotle pepper beer and a blueberry black ale that both tasted like crap to me so I gave them away. It's amazing what other people will drink when it's free.

I've been lucky in that I've never had a beer get infected. I did make a chipotle pepper beer and a blueberry black ale that both tasted like crap to me so I gave them away. It's amazing what other people will drink when it's free.
That's funny you get any feed back from em later!:)

The trick is to give them to people who want free beer but never chip in for ingredients. This way they stop asking

The trick is to give them to people who want free beer but never chip in for ingredients. This way they stop asking
So you give all your shockers to them makes sense;) and solves your problem of them hassling you for free beer eh

I had a wheat beer with a little honey that turned out delicious so I brewed a second batch with double the honey. Batch number two was... not so good. Not exactly spoiled or sour, but I think the extra honey was just a bad flavor. I drank a couple to make sure that they were all the same (they were) and that I really didn't like them (I didn't), and then poured the remainder out. I do plan to brew it again with my first recipe, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

One batch only got infected by a mutant alien jellyfish / octopus hybrid
Ditched another after evicting a housemate and finding FV lid on backwards , assumed interference so tipped it .

My Kolsch tastes pretty cidery , i'm just telling people it's a cider and they love it .

i left a dozen bottles at my girl's house labeled Dickens Cider , nearly pi@#ed myself laughing when she told me even her mother loves my ...you get the idea

Back