Vanilla Stout

Stephen P

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm brewing ten gallons of a American Stout this weekend. I was thinking of putting vanilla bean in half of the batch. Not sure how many pods I should put into 5 gallons. Any suggestions?

I am by no means an expert on this but I have been reading alot about additions and vanilla in particular, it seems that 2-3 beans cut and scraped soaked in 4oz of bourbon or vodka for a couple of weeks and adding the strained liquid to your secondary for a few days would do it

Hope this helps i have not tried it myself yet though

Good luck and let me know how it turns out

I am by no means an expert on this but I have been reading alot about additions and vanilla in particular, it seems that 2-3 beans cut and scraped soaked in 4oz of bourbon or vodka for a couple of weeks and adding the strained liquid to your secondary for a few days would do it

Hope this helps i have not tried it myself yet though

Good luck and let me know how it turns out
Thanks it sounds like a good starting point.

I still haven't used it yet, but several months ago I put 2 whole beans, scraped and cut, into some regular table sugar. mixed it around every once in a while. it smells amazing and can't wait to try priming with it

Reactions: GPA
I just brewed Stikks vanilla cream ale. It called for vanilla extract in last 10 mins and 3 pods soaked in a cup of vodka. Now it's on its second week in the keg ATM I've had one tasting last week 5 days in and it had a lovely vanilla aroma on the nose but as it was quite a blonde brew the vodka came through on the Finnish a bit. But with a darker base I'm sure it'd blend in better. I'm sure after a little time mines gunna mellow a bit. I'll be shore to post a pic when I think she's ready for the public eye:rolleyes:.

I added,4 beans cut up to a cup of vodka for the week she was in primary fermentation then tossed in vanilla brew secon week waited another week then kegged her. I did save a smidgin for the keg but I opted out because of vodka flavour. Good luck

Ok ok I couldn't help me self my other keg just blew so I through some vanilla cream ale through the line here she is what 9 days in. I've got to say beautiful vanilla aroma once again that bit too s perfect. But the vodka is still there but it has a touch of sweetness then leading to dry on pallet not too bad though from my bias perspective and head retention is there nice clean white head retention. Yep happy but probably will use less vodka to steep vanilla pods with. I'm thinking a real malt forward brew will cover that vodka. It's not overpowering but noticeable I'll have to have a few to get a good feel for it :p maybe this weekend. Cheers hope this helps

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    395.7 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
I'm brewing ten gallons of a American Stout this weekend. I was thinking of putting vanilla bean in half of the batch. Not sure how many pods I should put into 5 gallons. Any suggestions?

Make a tincture (or buy some high quality extract). Then, when you're ready to package, add a bit at a time until you get the flavor you want. The reason is there are many different kinds of vanilla, each tastes a bit different and some are stronger than others. I can't predict so most of the time when I'm adding flavorings or spices, I try to do them in such a way as to control the outcome. Even then, packaging and carbonation will make some difference in perception.

Back