Why does no one like Brown Ale?

Stephen P

Trial Member
Reaction score
It one of my favorite styles. But no one gets excited about it. I think it Is very versatile. I have had great Hoppy American versions. And English brown is a great session beer. Just my 2 cents anyway.

I like brown ale. I had Bell's Best Brown for the first time last week and really enjoyed it. Two local beers, Abita Turbodog and NOLA Brown are good ones. Pete's Wicked Ale, one of the beers at the forefront of the microbrew (craft) movement in the 80s was a very popular brown ale.
I think brown ales have been lost in the dogpile because of the focus on IPAs and "sours" and whatnot because for the most part they don't have any strong, in-your-face flavors. A lot of today's newer craft beer enthusiasts think they are boring or unremarkable for this reason. Plus I think many people think Newcastle when they hear brown ale, and it isn't anything to write home about. That's my theory.

Last edited:
Brown ales are seriously under-rated. Done right, they're wonderful!

p.s. My last Newcastle tasted like Kentucky roadkill. A polecat would have been very proud of that beer!

Id agree with all those points.
Especially with fall upon the US, I can't think of a better style for the season

I agree with GP. I also think the need for modern craft beers to be 'in-your-face' has a lot to do with the American habit of drinking beer as cold as possible. This is not only inappropriate for many traditional styles of beers, it also dulls the palate considerably, making it hard to distinguish any subtleties in flavor or texture. If every beer you drink has to be just above freezing, you need flavors that will upend a tractor just to be able to make out a difference. I'm hoping that the pendulum of fashion will swing and folks will rediscover the delicate joys of beer brewed artfully, rather than relying on a truckload of hops to create flavor.

At Stephen P's suggestion, I'm adding Brown Ale to my list of styles to focus on. Enjoyed at a natural temperature, of course!

My latest brew is a Necastle Brown Ale Clone. Racked it last night. I like its progress so far.

Ive been into amber bocks lately, sort of a brown ale but I love browns too especially during the colder weather days

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. There are about 6 craft breweries near me now, and only 1 Brown Ale. It's a s'mores Brown Ale and it's great. The same 6 breweries probably have 15 IPAs. I just kegged a American Brown Ale. I'm going to brew a English next month.

Last edited:
You're nobody unless you love IPAs. :confused:

Stainless cylinder! ;)
Brown glass, to match the ale... :) My latest is a German-American hybrid brownish ale, a Pre-Prohibition Porter. It's lagering now. Given the processing, I'm estimating it will be more like a Dunkel with some corn added.

Back