Black IPA/Hoppy Stout/Cascadian Dark Ale/Whateveryoucallit

Matic

Trial Member
Reaction score
Whatever you want to call it, I love the style. I made an extract version of this a while ago which was awesome and I think I recall that the hop bill was very close to this one (but this was when I started brewing and I cant find any notes but I remember that I used 6 types of hops). I'm hooked on brewing all grain now, so I want to perfect an all grain recipe for the style. Any suggestions on the below?

Title: Monday Monday Black IPA
Author: Shane

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Specialty IPA: Black IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.062
Efficiency: 65% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.084
Final Gravity: 1.021
ABV (standard): 8.3%
IBU (tinseth): 88.98
SRM (daniels): 40

FERMENTABLES:
1 lb - Flaked Oats (5.3%)
12 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (63.2%)
1 lb - German - Carafa III (5.3%)
1 lb - Corn Sugar - Dextrose (5.3%)
1 lb - American - Midnight Wheat Malt (5.3%)
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (10.5%)
1 lb - American - Roasted Barley (5.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Magnum, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 42.77
1 oz - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 15, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 35.81
1 oz - Perle, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.08
1 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
2 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days
1 oz - Amarillo, Type: Pellet, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 5.33

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F

Personally, i hate using Caramel in my hoppy beers. Caramel just gets in the way in my opinion. That's a lot of caramel going in there, and a lot of roasted barley for that matter. It could still be good, let us know how it turns out.

also.. are you sold on 1056? Just curious because US-05 attenuates better, and i think it finishes cleaner too when you ferment it at 60ºF.

Personally, i hate using Caramel in my hoppy beers. Caramel just gets in the way in my opinion. That's a lot of caramel going in there, and a lot of roasted barley for that matter. It could still be good, let us know how it turns out.

also.. are you sold on 1056? Just curious because US-05 attenuates better, and i think it finishes cleaner too when you ferment it at 60ºF.

Thinking about it, I like the caution with the Crystal. I want some good roasty flavors, though, so I might leave the barley. Perhaps I'll sub Vienna for the Crystal.

I'm not married to 1056, I just have good experience with it. I've got a few packs of US-05 in the fridge, could use that.

Any thoughts on the crazy hop bill?

Why not a full 60 min for the magnum? They are just for bittering anyway might as well use em for all they are worth. I think the rest is ok if strong is what you are going for. With a big hop bill the C-60 and the roast will blend ok. My 2 cents worth.

Here is a recipe i have been kicking around for a month or so. I wanted a really dark hop forward beer with some malt backbone
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/407315/black-ipa

I'm curious, what's your motivation/thoughts for using the Conan yeast in your recipe? I use that yeast for a juicy Vermont Style IPA. I'm wondering how that yeast will play with the dark malts? I like the US-05 or Wyeast 1056 because it gets good, clean attenuation....

I'm curious, what's your motivation/thoughts for using the Conan yeast in your recipe? I use that yeast for a juicy Vermont Style IPA. I'm wondering how that yeast will play with the dark malts? I like the US-05 or Wyeast 1056 because it gets good, clean attenuation....

Wanted to try something a little different with it, to see how it would work with the malt and roast flavors. I'm not looking to completely dry out the beer. I was torn between the conan and the mangrove jack's m44 west coast yeast, i haven't had the chance to use anything from mangrove jack's yet.

I was torn between the conan and the mangrove jack's m44 west coast yeast, i haven't had the chance to use anything from mangrove jack's yet.

I just got in the M54 Californian Lager, trying it out this week

I just got in the M54 Californian Lager, trying it out this week
Well my take on this yeast so far is its been slow to Finnish its at 1.012 from 1.052 I'm expecting another 2 points out of it ! fermentation has slowed to a crawl I've bumped temp to 20c now to help out yeasties. I read somewhere of it being comparable to S23 safe lager yeast. Day seven fermentation ATM had a slight Sulfur a few days ago time will tell with this one:).

Wanted to try something a little different with it, to see how it would work with the malt and roast flavors. I'm not looking to completely dry out the beer. I was torn between the conan and the mangrove jack's m44 west coast yeast, i haven't had the chance to use anything from mangrove jack's yet.
Initially I was going to do a black Heady Topper clone, change nothing but the roasted malts. ( just to see how much of an impact they would have) But, with the "help" of a few friends, the recipe was quickly transformed to the one you saw. I have since put that one on the back burner until I am able to test how the hops work together with the roast. ( small batch ) I have since revised the recipe here :
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/409800/midnight-ipa
As soon as I receive my order, and brew, I will post what I think about it.

Back